Scripture Resolutions

Scripture Resolutions

A list of ways to challenge yourself in the Word this 2017.

17
Scripture Resolutions

The Bible is the roadmap for our lives. It shows us who God is and who we are because of Him. These truths can change our lives if we let them "dwell richly" in our hearts. But, if we don't know the Bible well, we can't live by it. Here are some ways we can challenge ourselves to grow in the Word this new year.

1. Memorizing Scripture

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." Joshua 1:8

Memorizing Scripture is one of the absolute best ways to grow in your knowledge of the Word. It enables you to meditate on it, and let the words sink deep. If you aren't sure what to memorize, the Navigators ministry website has a great list to get you started. You could also pick a whole chapter, adding a new verse on to what you've memorized each week. Set a goal to memorize a new verse every week or every month, and you will begin to see the many applications of knowing the Word by heart.

More on this: Why Memorize Scripture?

2. Praying Scripture

"..take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication." Eph. 6:17-18

Ephesians says that the Word of God is our sword, and the way we use that sword is in prayer. Scripture is God-breathed, and therefore full of power. Be more intentional about praying God's own truth for yourself and others this year. Praise God with it. Start using your sword!

3. Singing Scripture

"Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth! Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day." Psalm 96:1-2

The Bible is full of people singing to the Lord in praise. Try to write a song from a verse or psalm that has encouraged you lately! Use Scripture to sing to the Lord a new song. Many bands use this approach to songwriting, and you can too. Wouldn't it be cool to recall 2017 and hear all the new songs you'd sung to the Lord?

Here are some examples to inspire you:

4. Reading Scripture

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Tim. 3:16-17

This one seems the most obvious, and it is one of the most important. But it is often hard to regularly be in the Word. The Bible prepares you for living an obedient, godly life. Consistent time reading and processing the truth of God's Word will change your life. Commit to reading portions of Scripture as regularly as you can, make a goal and be disciplined in it.

If you're not sure how or where to start, or in need of a reading plan, The Bible Project is a great resource with videos and a corresponding schedule you can do with others in 2017.

These are just a few ways to get you started. Get creative, be encouraged, and get in the Word in 2017!