When School Starts Again

When School Starts Again

I miss my bed.

28
When School Starts Again

Beep… Beep… Beep… BeeBeep… BeeBeep… BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP… *click*

This is the written description of the nightmarish screech that wakes me from my sweet dreams. The sharp constant beeping that starts off slow, one by one. With each second, the single beeps begin to turn to double trouble, rising in volume as they continue to overlap one another as they race to see who can reach my unsuspecting eardrums first. Whoever wins the unwanted contest becomes the bane of my morning, and I rise to prepare myself for the long, long day I know I will have that day.

How do I know I will have a long day? Well, to start, the morning I describe is a Monday, and Mondays are just exhausting in general from my experience in the nearly twenty years of my life. However, this Monday I describe becomes even worse as I add that this is the first Monday where I must return to the hustle and bustle of classes at my lovely university as the much needed Spring Break ends too soon for my liking.

Once that horrible alarm clock of mine has been silenced, I go straight back to sleep. I will not dare to lie about that. Whether I am given five more minutes or an hour, I go back to sleep in the hopes of feeling more rested by the next time I open my eyes. … I rarely feel more rested. Regardless, after the brief slumber I am up for the day. Saying a sad farewell to my bed, I go from relaxing to rushing. Every second counts once my feet my touch the ground.

Fast forward to that first class of the day. My mind is entirely dazed. How did I get here? Did I even eat breakfast? Why did I set a schedule that gave me such an early class? What are we even talking about? Question after question and I’ll be quite honest when I say I am probably not paying attention during the first thirty minutes of that fifty minute class. All I can think about is the past week, and how I’d rather be sleeping or eating breakfast which I more than likely didn’t eat because in case it wasn’t obvious… sleep is placed very high on the random things I feel the need to give value to.

That first class is finally over and I am at a loss of what to do until the next class. Homework? Food? Find a cozy couch in our wonderful library and attempt to nap? More than likely, I'm going to find coffee that will get me through the rest of the day. The answer always varies. It keeps things exciting. Regardless the Monday goes by dreadfully slow compared to the fun filled Spring Break that has just come and gone. As I walk through campus, I think of how great it was to take some time away from school and allow my mind to de-stress. I take a breath, and continue on forward, ready to finish the rest of the term.