How To Truly Save Money In College! (From A Saving College Student)

Tips provided by: The Finance Bar

51

Yes, yes, I know being a college student and having some money in your pocket is almost unheard of. But I am here to let you know that it is very possible to have some money in your pocket and live a comfortable financial life in college. How do I know? Because I am one college student who is living a lifestyle where I can still buy clothes and food! All these tips are provided with the help of The Finance Bar (My mother) TheFinanceBar.com

1. Make a budget. Estimate your monthly income and expenses.

The more insight you have on where your money goes, the better your chances will be to save money. Having a budget is not hard I promise! Once you really see how much you can spend you will have one less thing to think about. At first I thought I could not do it but I did and let's just say I can be a heavier spender!

2. Live like a college student. Embrace your college years.

There will be plenty time to spend on items in the future that will no longer be optional. You do not need what you think you need! I understand you want a new outfit for every party! You do not take a good look at your closet and I promise you will not have to buy anything. You do not need to go buy the latest bed set (yes, I have heard of this) just go to sleep on what you have.

3. Use the cafeteria.

While you may not LOVE what the cafe' has to offer every day of the week, take time to evaluate what "can" work for your appetite. Yes, just like you I love some Cook Out or Chick-Fil-A but listen you better take your hungry self to that cafe and humble yourself and get creative when it comes to food. I promise you will not regret it!

4. Stay in.

You don't have to cut going out altogether, but limit your excursions to a certain number of times per month or for special events. That will allow you to still get out, but make it more cost feasible in the long run. Simply, you do not need to go out every time there is a chance because majority of the time you going out there is going to be a cost! For example, you plan on going to a party you are either going to eat before or after the party. If before you can eat in the cafe if not you will have to eat after the party and pay some money! Next, you have to get into a party and no one likes to go early so you may end up paying something a tad bit higher that is on the flyer.

5. Meet with your advisor regularly to plan your class schedule.

This will help ensure that you’re taking the right classes at the right time. Having a recurring meeting with your advisor keeps you from taking unneeded classes that don’t count toward graduation. How could this help with you saving money? Well, if you think about it that will be more supplies that you have to buy for a class that is not needed and we all know that when it comes to some classes things can get really expensive.

6. Don't offer to pay the tab.

Remember when you're out with friends you aren't there to pick up the tab or pizza bill for your entire squad. Remember, you're a college student, just like your friends. Now, this is what I call a positive problem. I understand you wanna be there for your friends, and that is ok, but sometimes you cannot afford it!

So, there it is, everyone — some simple ways of saving money! Use your campus and get a job on campus. There are plenty. If not, get an off-campus job if you are able to get a ride to and from. When it comes to shopping, try your local thrift stores. There is one somewhere. Save what you have, my fellow students!