Sandra Bland's Family Settled for Justice or Money ?

Is $1.9 Million enough ?

9
La'Quesha Swain

Who is Sandra Bland ? Sandra Bland is a woman who was pulled over for not using the correct turning signal and ended up dead in jail three days later. Recently, Sandra Bland's family has settled for $1.9 million in a wrongful death lawsuit. Bland's mother described this as "joy" after a year of grief. The settlement includes changes to the Waller County, Texas jail procedures which are having an on-duty nurse present at the jail, automatic electronic sensors, and education for jailer screening. Now let's talk about this issue.

I think some people are agreeing with the family decision because they think the case would have ended up like Trayvon Martin case. Also, some believe the family can finally have some peace and Sandra can rest. This is understandable but, I have to disagree with the family's decision. First, the family settling for $1.9 million is NOT enough. Half of that money will be going to all types of fees including lawyer fees. We all know lawyers are not cheap, and I can only imagine how much debt they're in due to lawyer fees over the past year. Next, Bland's mother considered it "joy" once reaching an agreement on the settlement is kind of suspicious to me. How are you experiencing joy after your daughter was murdered and received no justice ? Yes, I believe Sandra Bland was murdered in that jail cell. Sandra had everything going for herself at that time so her committing suicide does not sit well with me. For her mother to say that receiving money is "joy" bothers me and make it seem like they were out for the money instead of justice for Sandra. I think Bland family should have fought for her like Trayvon Martin mother fought for his justice. I know the case ended with unexpected results but, the fact that Trayvon mother never gave up is important.

I attended Sandra Bland's one-year vigil in Chicago, Illinois this summer and I promised to always remember and fight for her and to continue to say her name. There were so many emotions in the air that night but, it was beautiful to see so many people come together to remember her. I've met some of Sandra Bland family and they're truly amazing people. I just wished her family would have continued to fight for justice and not money because money does not equal justice.

What are your thoughts on the situation ?