Losing a loved one to suicide

Poetry On Odyssey: Nobody Knew It Was Your Last Day

Hug your loved ones a little closer tonight.

88

You seemed so happy.

You laughed all the time,

laughed until you cried.

I was at school.

You were home alone.

I was learning how to multiply,

while you were suffering from depression.

Nobody knew it was your last day.

I had the biggest smile on my face.

Along with a beautiful Kool-Aid mustache.

I was living the nine-year-old dream,

laughing hysterically with friends at recess.

Then I heard the news.

My heart broke,

like glass falling to the floor.

My whole body went numb.

I couldn't move.

I couldn't think.

I couldn't speak.

I never got to say goodbye.

Nobody knew it was your last day.

Missing you comes in waves,

but that night I was drowning.

Just like that, you were gone.

BAM!

With one pull of a trigger,

you ended your own life.

You never said I'm leaving.

Nobody knew it was your last day.

Life Is Messy

Finding who you are in your 20s

286
Life Is Messy
https://www.pexels.com/photo/shallow-focus-photography-of-yellow-sunflower-field-under-sunny-sky-1169084/

I am 25 years old and just now learning who I am. When I separated from my husband I was terrified of what would follow. I did not know who I was outside of a relationship, nor did I know how to be on my own. It was scary, and I was so lost. I spent months discovering who I was, and what I wanted to be. I am still searching as I believe we never truly know who we are even when we "grow up". I came to the realization that I had been hiding a part of myself for my entire life. Coming out was not easy, growing up in the church made it scary, and hard. I was told growing up that being anything but straight was such a sin, and that i would spent my life in hell because of it. I came out to my parents when I was 25 years old. I picked up the phone and called my mom, and uttered the words "I'm queer" through tears. I knew my parents would be supportive, but that didn't make it any easier for me to vulnerable and raw. Since then, I have slowly started being more authentic in who I am, and not hide parts of me just because of people's shitty opinions.