Yes, Having A Roommate Isn't Ideal But It's A Learning Experience
Life Stages

Yes, Having A Roommate Can Suck Like The Rumors Say, But It's A Learning Experience

Thank God for headphones and a sleep mask.

112
boy staring on a bed
Katie Loof

For the third consecutive night, my roommate walks in the room while I'm trying to sleep. I wake up, and I am upset. I have an 8 a.m. class the next day, and she walks in at 1 a.m. Awesome.

Living with a roommate (especially when you haven't shared a room with anyone before) can be rough. It's hard to align your schedules, you always feel like you're bothering the other person, and it can be really hard to communicate effectively. Your roommate probably won't be your best friend, but they probably won't be your nemesis either. If you're like me, you'll probably be somewhere in the middle: not BEST friends, but not hateful toward each other either. They'll be your acquaintance.

It's hard not to have your own space. It's hard to have to use headphones all the time. It's hard to find somewhere new to talk on the phone when your roommate is in the room. It's hard to not bother them.

Essentially, roommates are two different people with two different schedules living two different lives. It's very frustrating, especially when you're a morning person and your roommate is a night owl (thank God for headphones and a sleep mask).

However, don't think it's the end of the world if you and your roommate don't get along completely. Dorms are basically boxes, and you have to share that box with a whole other person! That's crazy!

However, know it's your room too. You're allowed to still live your life in a dorm. You just have your trust that your roommate will respect you, your things, and your lifestyle. It's something new! Isn't that what college is all about?

So if you're like me and you're currently living in a dorm, you understand that it can be sucky sometimes. However, it's a learning experience, and as my mom always says, "You'll appreciate your own space so much more after you've had to share a box with someone!"