No, Riots Are Not Free Speech | The Odyssey Online

No, Riots Are Not Free Speech

Being offended doesn't mean it's okay to be violent.

36
No, Riots Are Not Free Speech
Byron Villacis

There has been a lot of debate recently over what exactly constitutes "free speech". For decades, university students have fought to be able to express their ideas freely on their college campuses. Today, that is not the case. Milo Yiannopoulos' planned appearance at UC Berkeley in Berkeley, California quickly resulted in riots, causing UC Berkeley to cancel Milo's event.

I will not try to argue whether or not Milo Yiannopoulos' views are hateful. Regardless of his views, he should still have the right to speak. Freedom of speech still applies even if the majority of people do not like what the speaker has to say. Freedom of speech includes speech that is considered to be hateful as long as it is not directly advocating for violence. In contrast, riots and destruction of property are not protected forms of speech and are not rights guaranteed by the constitution. Furthermore, these riots often end up endangering innocent people rather than effectively expressing one's dissent. Which is more dangerous? Is it the person standing on stage saying mean things, or is it the group of people rioting and setting things on fire because they do not like what that person has to say? In addition, these riots do nothing to actually help the marginalized people that these activists claim to be fighting for. At the end of day, who has to clean up the destruction that these riots leave behind? It's probably not Milo. He's too busy profiting from the extra publicity.

A more effective way to oppose those with differing opinions is to debate and discuss. Prove them wrong instead of smashing windows. If your activism involves endangering others because someone on stage said mean things, then what are really fighting for?

I am completely in favor of peaceful protests. People of all viewpoints should have the right to be heard. I strongly defend Milo's right to express his views, and I also defend the rights of those who disagree with him to peacefully assemble. Peaceful protesting is a crucial right protected by the Constitution. I'd like to see more debate on college campuses rather than censorship. I'd like to see more discussion. Debating with those of differing viewpoints can help strengthen your own argument and also see the other side. Who knows? It might even help the opposing side see your point of view. However, even if it does not change the other person's mind, perhaps at the end of the day, there will be at least a little more understanding and tolerance between both sides.