Resume Writing Tips

Resume Writing Tips

Don't let a resume stop you from getting your dream job!

5
Resume Writing Tips
Brittney Moffatt

Resume writing can be challenging. You want to impress your potential employer but you only have one or two pages to do it. As someone who critiques and writes resumes, I know the difficulties of properly selling yourself on paper.

Luckily, I have a few tips that might help make your life a little easier!

1. Add results to your job descriptions.

One thing I really like to do when editing resumes is add results. Telling someone what you have done is great, but giving them real descriptions on how you’re contribution made the company better will actually sell you. Don’t simply write the duties you completed as a salesperson, write that you made over $30,000 in sales your first year.
  2. Don’t be afraid to brag.

The last place to be modest is your resume. If you have completed something amazing at your last job, include it on your resume. If you are the top social media manager with the highest engagement rates of anyone in your department, say that on your resume. The more you boost yourself up, the more likely you are to stand out.
  3. Save some information for the cover letter.

You definitely want to impress your potential employer on your resume, however leave some things for the cover letter. For example, if my resume is getting too long, I might take out a line about how my blog articles were the most read and state that in my cover letter. This way I can explain my accomplishment a little more in detail and keep my resume at the right length.
  4. Proofread, Proofread, P.R.O.O.F.R.E.A.D..

Proofreading is something I always struggled with in college. I’ve always been a quick writer which leaves me zipping through the editing process. One thing that has really helped me (other than just slowing down) is simply reading what I wrote aloud. We often hear when something sounds off better than we can see it. Always be sure to proofread your resume because may employers will write you off for the simplest mistake.
  5. Hire a professional when needed.

One of the best thing I ever did was get my resume professionally critiqued. Once I was able to hear from someone who knew what employers wanted to see and had the professional expertise I needed, my resume has been one thing I’m always complimented on ever since.

Originally posted on Maria Marketing Management