Reasons To Be Thankful For Thanksgiving

Reasons To Be Thankful For Thanksgiving

Six reasons Thanksgiving is a pretty great holiday.

358
Reasons To Be Thankful For Thanksgiving
Public Domain Pictures

Thanksgiving is already almost here, which is the kicking-off-point of the holiday season. While Thanksgiving isn't everyone's favorite holiday, and yeah, it can be tough to get through sometimes, it definitely still has its perks. Thanksgiving has generally always been a tense or stressful holiday. Here are some reasons why Thanksgiving still should be appreciated, though.

1. Food

Thanksgiving is the only holiday that is now just predominantly centered around food, and honestly, what more could we ask for? For everyone on a diet, it's a pre-decided cheat-day for the whole country and a day for everyone to eat as much as they feel like without being judged by anyone. The food is also so good. Everyone's Thanksgiving looks a little different but turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, and pies tend to be the staple for everyone's Thanksgiving table.

2. Family

So, it's that time that your great aunt or grandparents come in and you're forced to smile for a few hours and face all of the "How are your grades?", "Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?", "What do you want to do when you graduate?", and then face their judging stares when you don't answer how they wanted you to. But, you don't get to see them and the rude or judgy comments aside, you love them and it's nice to occasionally brag about what you've done recently.

3. Dressing Up

As a society, we are not given enough opportunities to shamelessly dress up and put a lot of effort into how we look for the day. On Thanksgiving, though, we are expected to look our best even though we won't be leaving the house, or maybe even the kitchen. It's the best of both worlds, really, getting to put effort into your looks (which make for great pictures and selfies), and never having to actually leave the house but still feeling like it wasn't a waste.

4. Remembering Why You're Thankful

It's nice to have a day that's set aside once a year to just sit back and reflect on what in your life you're thankful for. It's easy to get caught up in the stress and the bad moments. Thanksgiving is a very calming and great time to sit back and think about the things that mean a lot to you and how grateful you are for certain things or people.

5. Black Friday

Since Black Friday has now merged itself into Thanksgiving night, this can be included. The hustle and bustle of busy stores and Christmas shopping rush is only fun to certain kinds of people (me being one of them), but good deals on things you needed or things for people on your Christmas list are fun for everyone.

6. Leftovers

This has got to be my dad's favorite part of the holiday. Using the leftover turkey to make a turkey sandwich that night, or for lunch the next day, is just one of the best parts of the meal. Or, waking up the next morning and having pie for breakfast, because odds are you made too many pies again, and you've already eaten your body weight in food, what's pie for breakfast going to hurt?