5 Reasons Why I'm Not Walking At Graduation
Lifestyles

And yes, my mom does know.

170
The University of Oklahoma Graduation Office's Facebook

College graduations are considered the pinnacle of a young person's college career, but what if the pure thought of the day creates more stress than joy? What if rather than feeling excited and pumped about the day to come, you feel tense and anxious about the impending event? This is true in my case. So here's why I'm choosing to not walk at my college graduation.

1. I've Already Done It All

I graduated from Tulsa Community College with an Associate of Arts in Drama. So I've decorated the cap, I've picked out the perfect outfit, I've waited for what seems like an eternity, and I've walked across the stage. So, for me, version two of that seems almost pointless and unnecessary. Now I know this isn't the case for most, but in my situation not walking just makes sense.

2. The Week Leading Up

Some seniors have the luxury of taking "blow-off" classes their final semester, as a transfer student, I do not have that luxury. Since I am a transfer student, ALL of my classes count and I have to pass every single one in order to graduate "on time." Additionally, I have to move out during the same week. So combining the stress of studying and packing is not ideal for a "celebration" at the end of the week.

3. The Days Following

I've been fortunate enough to be accepted into the Disney College Program for Walt Disney World and I check in TWO DAYS after graduation. So between the day of graduation and how long that day will be and the next day with an 18-hour drive, I'd rather spend the time I have with my family than at a ceremony that is hours long.

4. The Stress

Just reread the three reasons above, put yourself in my shoes, and try to tell me that you wouldn't be stressed the heck out.

5. The Money

The impact of this factor on deciding to walk or not is different for everyone. For me, because I have already walked at a college graduation, I am less inclined to spend money on another. Adding up the price of the cap and gown, announcements, pictures, and an outfit makes the final outcome of the event feel like a burden.

No matter what you choose to do, walk or not, know that you still earned your degree. You still put in the hours, the work, and the blood, sweat, and ~many~ tears. Walking across the stage will not change that fact.