All About Post-Grad Job Search

What I Realized During The Post-Grad Job Search

The truth about your dream job.

81
www.unsplash.com
Unsplash

I'm four months deep in my post-grad job search. I've definitely learned a lot. I've experienced some things I didn't expect to experience.

I'll be honest. I had unrealistic expectations for my job search post-grad. I thought I'd find the perfect job at the perfect company in the perfect location. I'd get to do exactly what I wanted to do, preferably in a big city.

To say I was wrong is definitely an understatement.

I've quickly realized that was far from what was going to happen. I endlessly scrolled through Indeed and LinkedIn looking for my "dream" job. But I noticed that what I considered my "dream" job didn't exist at the entry-level I was at.

I realized that there was honestly no such thing as a dream job unless you have, you guessed it, experience. Not an internship experience. Professional experience. I'm talking three to five plus years of working in the field.

Now, don't get disappointed. There are positions that have elements of what you consider your "dream" job, whether you're assisting someone in your "dream" position, or you're working on a team under the person in your "dream" position. There are definitely elements of positions that will keep your content on getting the job you want, someday.

I also realized how discouraged and defeated you can feel during the job search. You can spend hours applying for jobs you never even hear back from. You can get denied from a job without a reason why.

It's so frustrating. There have been days when I cried because I sincerely thought I would never get a job.

The job search isn't easy. It isn't fun. It isn't encouraging.

But the most important thing I realized is that there is someone out there who will take a chance on you. There is a company out there that will be happy to kickstart your career. You will get a job, eventually.

It might take a few weeks or a few months, but it will happen.

But it's also important to not set unrealistic expectations about your first job. You might not be where you thought you'd be, but you will get there eventually and it'll all work out.

Keep searching. That job before your dream job is out there. Someone is out there waiting to give it to you. I promise.