I Was Raised By A Single Parent

I Was Raised By A Single Parent And I'm Better For It

Divorce is not always a bad thing and you can come out stronger and better than ever from it.

569

Every kid everywhere wants their parents to stay together for eternity, but some parents can't make the relationship last. Some parents try to stay together to make things work for the children so that they can grow up happy with both of their parents together, but let me tell you, it doesn't work. You can see the changes in your parents because they want to act like they are happy and nothing can break them, but that's instilling false hope in the kids who can read right through the act

My parents divorced when I was eleven years old, and my mom was a superhero through the entire thing.

She protected my older brother and me from rumors, she made sure we were always okay and felt equally loved, and I know she was tired from being Wonder Woman 24/7, but she never shed a tear in front of us.

She knew that it was important for my brother and me to feel loved, especially at a young age. She made sure that we did our homework (even though we always did it) and if we slipped up the slightest, she took away the game systems, iPods, computers, phones, tablets, unplugged the televisions, and when we were old enough to drive, the car keys were taken away, too. We began to have curfews and given that they were fairly early, at about eight o'clock and maybe ten on the weekends, we were given the freedom to do anything and go wherever we wanted to as long as we checked in.

Most people say that she was too strict, but my mom wasn't any different than when she was married; the only change was that my brother and I were teenagers, so she couldn't just take away our toys and pop us on the hand anymore. Her methods had to grow and change with us, and as a result of their divorce, my brother and I are happier and better than we could have ever imagined.

The divorce itself wasn't easy - I remember being so angry for a few months until I got settled and used to the new routine of going every other weekend to my dad's house, my brother and I fought every single day, and my mom and I even got into a few arguments, but she knew it was out of anger (I was still grounded though), but once I got over it and myself, I realized all of the things that I was able to do, like have slumber parties and actual birthday parties. She made sure that my brother and I grew up knowing our worth and told us that we would always have each other no matter what happens. Now, my brother is successful in his career, and I'm working my way through college.

Divorce isn't a bad thing. Many people believe that kids with divorced parents become deviant, but a kid can still become deviant if they have married parents. I'm living proof (just like a hundred plus other kids) that being raised by a single parent didn't turn me into a deviant child. I try to imagine what life would be like if my parents had stayed together, but when I look on my life now and try to compare it to what could've been, I'm much better off now that I was raised by a single parent.