Racism Is A Legitimate Problem Why This Country Is Failing
News

George Floyd's death angered a lot of people tremendously.

806

On May 25, 2020, George Floyd was accused of buying cigarettes with a counterfeit 20 dollar bill. When officers arrived, he was pinned down forcefully on his neck by Derek Chauvin's knee. After repeatedly saying to the cops "I can't breathe," he suffered a cardiac arrest. Even after being unconscious for 3 minutes, Chauvin lifted his knee and Floyd was taken to a hospital where he was later presumed dead.

A photograph of George Floyd at the George Floyd Memorial … | Flickrlive.staticflickr.com

Derek Chauvin has a total of 18 complaints as an officer. 3 of those complaints were shootings.

In 2008, Derek Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles for allegedly being involved in a domestic violence situation. Toles went to the bathroom and locked the door. Chauvin stormed the house where the violence was occurring and blindly broke the bathroom door and shot Toles twice in the stomach. Toles was unarmed and was not resisting arrest. That did not stop Chauvin from shooting him. Eventually, Toles pleaded guilty and faced justice. However, Chauvin was not punished for his actions. Similar to this, Chauvin has a long list of behavioral complaints.

File:Minneapolis Police Riot Officers - Afghanistan Anti-War ...upload.wikimedia.org

Many people are protesting and rioting as a result of the injustice the four cops committed. To be honest, they have every right to do. There have been many black people dying under the cops and it is now significantly out of control. George Floyd was a good man who committed no crime and he was punished for doing absolutely nothing. He did not resist from the cops control like the cops said on the original report. Racism is not ok and should never be encouraged for anyone.