11 Inspirational Quotes We Should All Try To Live By

Words. Are. Powerful.

199
Photo by Janko Ferlič on Unsplash

Life isn't meant to be a smooth ride. It is meant to unravel, reveal new treasures and bring on tough challenges. But sometimes, through the noise and chaos of the journey, we lose ourselves. Whether we begin to lack a sense of purpose or struggle with an abysmal calamity, we begin to teeter on the edge of a rabbit hole that is far too dismal to fall into. So, we must stop; we must stop and search for a way back onto the rollercoaster of life, where the most exciting adventures and happiest moments can blossom right before our eyes.

And I believe words can bring us back to the top of that roller coaster — and keep us there.

Because words are powerful. They can provide purpose, alter moods, offer motivation; they can cure the most broken hearts and heal the deepest wounds. They are essential for us to find the light in the shadows, uncover the happiness in the pain. Thus, I asked a variety of people – from well-known Instagrammers to adventurers, college students to grandmothers – what words, what quote, they live by. Because maybe, just maybe, the wisdom they found in these words can speak to someone, too.

1. "Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." - Walt Disney

Photo by Madasen Pramprasert, @madasen_

"I love this quote for so many reasons. It always reminds me to not take myself too seriously and to dream as big as I possibly can. People always tell kids to grow up and expect them to act like adults right away. But there's something truly special about an adult who can still dream like a child and not let other people tell them how to live their lives." - Madasen Pramprasert

2. "Keep your face towards the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you." - Walt Whitman

Photo by Victor Freitas from Pexels

"I'm always a positive person that finds the bright side in every single situation life throws at me. Except when my aunt passed away two years ago, very suddenly, it traumatized me, and I fell into a mild depression. I didn't know how to deal with this new darkness in me because I always lived such a positive lifestyle. It was hard to not focus on how there was not a positive outcome to this situation, and I read that quote one day, and it was like something had clicked. We have to let our darkness fall behind us; we can't let it define us. Yes, it did happen, and you can never just ignore it, but you have to just focus and keep moving forward." - Abbey Spencer

3. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." – Ferris Bueller

Photo by Willian Justen de Vasconcellos on Unsplash

"I love this quote because of its truth. We are so busy worrying about tomorrow and regretting mistakes that we made that we don't take the time to appreciate the life we are living. We need to remind ourselves to slow down and appreciate what is right in front of us. You don't get that time back." - Dawn Wills

4. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." – Matthew 7:12

Photo by Suraphat Nuea-on from Pexels

"I like to do for people, and I believe they will help me if I need it, too. We all need people sometimes in our life, whether it is a shoulder to cry on or a helping hand." - Darlene Johnson

5. "You are more than you have become." - Rachel Hollis

Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

"I've always been a 'dreamer' but now I'm at the point in my life where I actually can make those dreams into a reality, and it can be terrifying. It's so easy to settle for where you are right now because what you've always dreamed of becoming seems so far away and will take so much effort. It's easy to let our tragic life events be our excuses for stagnation. Subconscious thoughts like 'I've already been through so much, this is good enough' can rule our life and lower our standards without us even knowing it. This quote reminds me not to settle on myself." - Em Beltran

6. "The journey IS the destination." - Dan Eldon

Photo by Krivec Ales from Pexels

"I love this and live like this because I believe there is joy all around us. You just must look for it. Each day.....each person.....each adventure. Life is what you make it. Sometimes the joy can be in the grip of my five month old grandson on my finger. Sometimes it is the smile of my eighty-five year old mother who struggles to walk each day. I want other people to see joy in my journey so that maybe they can look a little harder to find theirs." - Pamm Barnaky

7. "I have no regrets. I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say." - Ingrid Bergman

Photo by Andrej Lišakov on Unsplash

"This was my mantra in high school, since I was very ostracized by my classmates. And I had to keep telling myself to pay them no mind and just live my life." - Zachary Winograd

8. "There's always a reason to smile, you just have to find it." – Unknown

Photo by Taylor Enlow, @tayenlow97

"Don't look at all the negativities in life. There's always something positive." - Taylor Enlow

9. "Always treat people with love and respect because one day your looks will fade and all you will have is your pure soul." - Unknown

Photo by Bruce Dixon on Unsplash

"I live by this because I was teased a lot as a child by friends and even family for my weight, and it made me feel terrible even to this day. Even though I know I don't have weight issues, it's still in the back of my mind. So, I always try to make people feel loved and respected no matter how they look or who they are or who they choose to love." - Brooke Stiles

10. "This too shall pass." – Unknown

Photo by Johannes Plenio from Pexels

"It's a reminder that no matter what's going on, good or bad, it'll pass, and life keeps moving onto bigger and better things." - Sheldon Naja

11. "I mean, most people want to escape. Get out of their heads. Out of their lives. Stories are the easiest way to do that." – Kate Harker

"Life is stressful sometimes, and the stress can often feel inescapable. This quote reminds me there are nourishing, beneficial ways we can escape from our lives through reading and writing. Whether it be for five minutes or five hours, I never fail to lose myself in words. Although it may seem trivial to some to halt all overbearing importance to absorb oneself in fiction, I tend to come out increasingly more level-headed than before. Escape is okay, if only for a little bit. Go-Go-Go 24/7 only hurts in the long-run. We live our best lives when we feel free." - Jessica Schmidt