QAnon's conspiracies are misleading and counterproductive
Politics

QAnon: Internet Troll And Red Herring​

Why this conspiracy is nothing more than a manipulative publicity stunt.

412
Masked figure sqatting

For those unfamiliar with the terminology, a red herring is something that distracts attention from the real issue.

Auction, Red Herring, Series of Unfortunate Events

Qanon, the latest internet conspiracy sensationalized by mass media outlets, is the perfect example of this.

In true internet troll fashion, QAnon preys on the uncertainties and insecurities of its audience. By targeting the all too familiar suspicion and mistrust of the deep state, QAnon draws influence from previous conspiracies like Pizzagate and the cover-up of JFK Jr's death. In doing so, QAnon makes it all the easier for believers to gloss over the lack of substantial evidence supporting the theorist's claims. Some of which time has already disproved. For example, in early November of 2017, QAnon claimed public riots would break out in protest of the detainment of unnamed public officials. Despite the fact that claims such as this failed to come to fruition, believers in QAnon's theories continue to protest at the theorist's behalf.

The issue with this conspiracy is the fact that it distracts people from real-life problems. One of QAnon's many theories is that "an international pedophile ring and a global sex trade of child slaves" exist and are endorsed by high ranking government officials. While we know that organizations like these do exist, there's no way to confirm whether or not the ones QAnon references are real. Therefore, one could argue that QAnon is drawing attention away from known organizations, thus further complicating the process of unearthing and terminating them.

Given America's current political and social climate, it is no surprise that people want to escape reality. However, conspiracies like these encourage people to go beyond simply stepping aside and reorienting their thoughts. By continuing to fuel these conspiracies, QAnon is effectively encouraging supporters to dissociate completely from reality. In doing so, people only expand the political and ideological divide present within society, making it even more difficult for people to start a constructive dialogue.