Your phone isn't that important, stop and smell the roses

Put down your phone and look up at life Happening Right In Front Of You

Seriously, look around and stop to smell the roses.

348
Instagram

We're all guilty of it in some way or another. It's 2018, and many of us are constantly absorbed in our iPhones thinking about what to add to our Instagram profiles and Snapchat stories.

Maybe were obsessed with the idea of having a "perfect feed," or were making sure that our friends can see what a great time was had by recording every moment. Your mom has definitely said it one way or another, but seriously put down your phone and enjoy the precious moment, without putting a filter on it, here's why.

1. Nobody really cares that much

I hate to break it to you, but the pretty picture you out of your fish tacos on your Snapchat story isn't going to make or break anyone's night. When out having a great time, it's almost second nature to try and capture a highlight to show to those who missed out. In reality, though, people are probably going to tap through that picture faster than you can say "puppy filter."

2. Sometimes that perfect moment is better told in a story to your friends the next day anyway

Haven't you ever been telling your friends about last night, impersonating the drunk who was constantly hitting on you and almost falling over because of the laughter surrounding you?

Those perfectly real, raw moments without disruption of a screen are probably the best moments. Those times when everyone's phone is dead, no one is searching for a better moment to live in, and your human connection is ALIVE, those times are the best times. You don't need to prove anything to anyone with a recording of what happened, it doesn't make the story any richer.

3. Instead of worrying about your followers, focus on the people you are currently around!

Picture this, I'm on a rooftop in one of the greatest cities on the planet, looking over the river and down at the beautiful place that I'm about to call home for the next four years.

The sunset is coloring the sky in mixes of orange, blue and pink and of course one of the first things that pops into my head is "I have to take a picture of this."

Naturally, I stood there trying to get a perfect shot and asking my parents to take pictures of me and my (amazing) new roommate in front of the beautiful view.

After hating the first few I asked for more, realizing what a pain I must sound like in front of my roommate and my mom. I then decided, "who am I really trying to impress here", with my beautiful view and even better company. It's true, you find yourself in an amazing place with amazing people and feel the need to show the world how amazing your life is. We all seem to have that touch of insecurity nowadays, where it's almost as if we're trying to prove our well-being to those who can't live it with us.

Really, we should be enjoying those amazing moments with the people who ARE living them with us. You never know, maybe the time you spend looking at your phone could have been the time you first make eye-contact with your future husband/wife across the room. You're the one who's going to remember these moments the best, therefore you're the one who should live them to the fullest.