Don't Wait Until College Graduation To Pursue Your Career

Who said it had to wait until after graduation?

53
Matt Popovich

We are in college, trying to get our degrees that will help us shape the careers of our lifetimes. For some of us, it takes 4 years or less, or even more than 4 years. (Guilty of this.) I would love to graduate on time for my 4-year degree, however, due to a change in major, that will not be happening. Depending on your career of choice, you might even be lucky enough to get your foot in the door with a job pertaining to your end goal. It is no easy task, and for me, it is taking longer than expected.

Take me back to Spring semester 2016. I am currently a Biology major with a minor in criminal justice, and one day I am on the phone with my stepdad. He has been in law enforcement for 25+ years and knows how much I enjoy my minor. I am currently in a victimology class with my favorite professor of my college career, and I am excelling in the class. I recall having a guest speaker and calling my dad immediately after the class. All of a sudden, it hits me like a freight train: this is what I want to do with my life. I want to help people, I want to help those who have been victimized while putting away the offenders. Just like that, I changed my major.

Fast forward about 8 months: I am going to the gym, eating healthier. I have now tried for the local Sheriff's Office and missed the mark twice. Honestly, feeling like a failure. I am taking the classes for my Criminal Justice degree, all while training and preparing myself for a job in law enforcement. I am working full time, taking a full set of classes, and trying to get into my career early, before my degree is finished.

October of 2017: I am currently in the process of getting a job at my local police department, I am in the best shape I have been in since high school, and I am still taking online classes for my degree. I have the opportunity, as long as I hit each mark, to be involved in my career field prior to obtaining my degree. From then onward, I can make my moves to helping those who have been victimized and rehabilitating those who have known no other life than that of crime and criminal activity.

All in all, my 'college career' has not been easy so far; I am more than a semester behind, I changed my major a year and a half into it, and I failed at two attempts to obtain the career I want. But here is what I have succeeded in: I have successfully bettered my health, I have gotten and held a full time job for almost 3 years, I have made the necessary contacts to achieve my goals in my future career, and I am about to have my foot in the door. Here's to hard work and busting your ass, because you are the only one who can make your dreams come true.