5 Key Ways To Prepare For A Speech And Calm Those Nerves

5 Ways To Prepare For A Speech And Calm Those Nerves

Get ready to erase public speaking from your list of fears!

30
upload.wikimedia.org

Not unlike many, public speaking has always scared me. I always seem to get nervous and the thought of a crowd focusing on me longer than a few seconds is terrifying. However, I am in a public speaking course this semester and I have already learned a lot of great ways to prepare, control nerves, and overall give a successful speech! Here are just a few ways to help eliminate this common fear!

1. Practice

Practice, practice, practice. This is nothing we haven't heard before. Sometimes it may be awkward or inconvenient to practice a speech, but it is crucial in order to be truly prepared for a speech. Gather a group of friends (or strangers if it helps you) and simply give them your speech. Ask them for tips afterwards and keep practicing. If you don't have any people to practice for, line up stuffed animals - it really works! Practice in front of a mirror as well if it doesn't freak you out. Say your speech quietly to yourself on your way to class, as you clean your room, while you're cooking, etcetera. Overall, practice as much as possible - you will not regret it!

2. Record yourself

As you practice, pick a time to record yourself giving your speech. You can easily do this on a smartphone! After you get a good recording, listen to it over and over again. This is especially nice at times when you may not be able to practice out loud. Listen to it at the gym, while laying in bed, and any other time when you may not feel like standing and speaking. It will help get the speech engraved into your head even more!

3. The chair

This is a technique that I recently learned from my professor and it really helps! Sit in a chair, close your eyes, and visualize your speech. Begin by thinking of what you're wearing, who you sit next to in class, and where you are in the classroom. Walk yourself through the entire speech. Imagine yourself as you get up from your chair and walk to the front of the room. Visualize every word and every movement. Go through the speech beginning to end and keep your eyes closed until you finish picturing yourself walking back to your chair and taking a seat. This is a great way to prepare yourself and feel as though you have done this all before come speech day.

4. Clench your toes

I heard this tip from a friend. Clench your toes as you're speaking! It sounds weird but it works!

5. Picture a friendly face

Sometimes if you are feeling nervous and don't have a good friend in your public speaking class, it helps to picture at least one friendly face in the crowd. Picture your best friend, a sibling, a parent, or even a pet. It might take away some of the nerves that you may be feeling.