A Few Pros and Cons Of Homework

A Few Pros and Cons Of Homework

Is Homework A Good Or Bad Thing?
13645

Homework is used as a resource to reinforce and integrate into students' minds what the teacher(s) taught in class. The motive behind homework is to make students better understand the subject of what they learned, but is that certain motive always significant? Yes, homework helps with refreshing your memory on what you learned in class so you can be prepared for the tests, quizzes and sometimes life, but is homework actually worth it?

Pros

1. Responsibility

Completing a homework assignment may be beneficial to a student's future more than some may realize. When students get older and are told to do certain tasks for their job(s), it will be their responsibility to complete said tasks. HW, in a way, trains them to know that if they're designated a certain task, it must be completed or trouble will follow.

2. Being Prepared for Tests and Quizzes

Most assignments help students with preparation for future tests and quizzes. Some teachers even take the same or similar questions you see on homework assignments and use them for future tests/quizzes.

3. Teachers Can See Progress of Student

If a student isn't doing well on their homework, the teacher will notice and reach out to help them if they see fit.

Cons

1. Stress

Some teachers give an abundance of homework knowing damn well that their class isn't the only class students have to worry about. This leads to stress, lack of sleep and frustration - a bad combo.

2. Less Time To Socialize

If you have a pile of responsibilities to complete, how can you find the time to socialize with others? Being swamped with too much homework and no time to do anything else could resort to complications later on in life.

3. Less Family Time

In a newspaper article I read a few weeks ago, parents were complaining about how much homework their kids have to endure which cuts back on their family time. Family time is very crucial and should always be valued. No one should be getting so much homework that they can't spend time with their loved ones.

It’s been said that Roberto Nevilis, a schoolteacher from Italy, is the inventor of homework. According to some websites, he used homework as a method for punishment. If this is true, the same tactics are still used today. When students talk too much or misbehave in class, teachers threaten to give more homework. Though they may think this a good method, it’s not. This encourages their students to go online and look up the answers if they feel like their workload is too much to bear. Educational assignments should never be used as a form of punishment – it should only be used to instruct students and further their knowledge. In my opinion, homework is a good thing BUT to a certain extent. Teachers shouldn't over assign work knowing that too many assignments can lead to students being overwhelmed. To all students: good luck with school in September!

To all: have a great week.