Priyanka Chopra's Jingoism Is Bad For India's Image

Priyanka Chopra's Jingoism Is A Bad Look For EVERYONE, Including Herself

Priyanka, your recent actions aren't helping out your or India's current image.

31
Priyanka Chopra

I am an Indian. I love my country. But I know when something is wrong and unjust. With the current events unfolding in Kashmir, India is in global limelight for sending troops into Kashmir and forcing a blackout onto its people. India also bombed Pakistan causing great damage and many casualties. I am not saying Pakistan is a completely innocent country, for it, too, has done damage throughout history, but people are being killed and tortured due to India's actions.

None of this is OK. It doesn't matter what country you are from, this type of violence is inhumane and wrong.

Priyanka Chopra is a very popular Indian actress who made her debut into Hollywood with her show "Quantico." She was the first Indian actress to gain popularity in Hollywood. She became a major inspiration to South Asian girls all around the world.

A few days ago, in an interview, Priyanka was questioned, by a Pakistani public figure, about a tweet she made in February of this year. In this tweet, Priyanka was showing support for the Indian Army. This girl questioned Priyanka's position as Peace Ambassador for the UN because her tweet was interpreted as supporting India's violent actions.

This tweet in itself has no violence in it. Countries around the world take pride and support their own armies and Priyanka Chopra was just showing her love to the people who fight for her country. However, the way she responded to is questioning is what made her the "bad guy." She started off with asking the girl if she was done "venting" and told her to not embarrass herself. Her tone was very condescending and rude. She also continues by explaining how she has many Pakistani friends. This can be compared to white people defending their racism by saying they have black friends.

Though Priyanka's intention was not to show dislike towards Pakistan, her words made it seem like so.

Due to her great popularity, Priyanka needs to be extremely careful with how she words things and her tone. She is facing a lot of backlash because of this interview and if she had just gently explained what the tweet's actual intention was, she wouldn't have faced what she is currently.

Come on Priyanka, the OG Desi girl, think before you speak.