Why Prioritizing Skincare Is So Important For College Girls

2020 Is The Year College Girls Stop Caking On Makeup And Start Taking Care Of Their Skin

Make skincare a priority this year!

343
Personal Photo

The life of a college student can get extremely hectic, to say the least. We are constantly busy with either school work, internships, jobs, extracurriculars, and simply life in general. In my case, I always fail to pay attention to myself when I start to get really busy with the college grind.

One area I can count on myself forgetting about is skincare.

No, I'm not some monster who never washes my face. Most days, I stay consistent with washing my face every morning (Neutrogena's Acne-Fighting Face Wash from Target is my go-to).

However, this is where my skincare routine typically ends. I'm very bad about moisturizing my face and don't even get me started about toning. Basically, I thought drying my face out as much as possible would help my acne and overall oily complexion. Spoiler alert: I was very wrong.

As it turns out, drying out your face actually causes a whole new dilemma for your skin.

Obviously, my skin became very flaky, and makeup no longer smoothed out my complexion. Any product I tried was cakey and did not look good in the slightest, and my acne didn't even go away!

Imagine having such parched skin that it becomes as dry as the Sahara desert AND doesn't even dry out any of your imperfections. Despite the anger I had toward my skin, it was because of me and my habits that it has gotten out of hand.

This year, one of my biggest goals is to find a skincare routine that works for me and stick with it.

Now, this is easier said than done. But, I am making an effort to keep a consistent routine that works for my skin. Skincare is often brushed under the rug by many people, and I think its importance should be brought into the limelight.

Your face is the first thing anyone you encounter sees. So it's obviously important to take care of it on the outside and on the inside.

I know everyone says to drink more water to help your skin, but it couldn't be truer.

By cutting down on the number of sodas I drink, I can already tell a difference in both my complexion and mood. Not to mention, working out has surprisingly already helped my skin and body in numerous ways.

Exercise relieves stress by releasing endorphins, while also making you sweat all the toxins out of your body. Working from the inside out can do wonders for your skin and your self-esteem.

With working out and drinking water come regular showers and frequent face washing. My goal is to wash my face twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed, in order to keep my pores clean.

Along with this, I've been using Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel Toner (for $2.99 at Target) that has already reduced the appearance of my pores.

I've tried other toners in the past, but the fragrances always irritate my skin. With this toner, my skin feels smooth, balanced, and not extremely dry.

After toning, I ALWAYS apply Clean & Clear's Essentials Dual Action Facial Moisturizer (for $4.99 at Target) with a small content of salicylic acid. This moisturizer works really well for me because it keeps my face soft and moisturized without causing any breakouts.

Finding products that work for you and your skin type is EVERYTHING, so some trial and error is necessary for practicing good skincare habits.

Skincare has never been my strong suit, but this year I am making it a goal and encourage others to do so as well.

Having clean and clear skin works wonders for self-esteem, and also just makes you feel good. Every time I wash my face, I feel a little more confident and even more ready to take on the day. This year, skincare should become a priority for all!

Odyssey may earn a portion of purchases made via links on this page.