Being A College Student Who Likes To Talk About Their Future

A Rarity: Being A College Student Who Likes To Talk About Their Future

This Thanksgiving, I'm prepared.

29
https://unsplash.com/photos/wYOPqmtDD0w
Unsplash

When I was younger, I hated the idea of talking about my future with loved ones on holidays. The mere thought of having to admit to everyone around me that I had no idea what my future held scared me half to death, and I'd avoid it at all costs. It wasn't that I was ashamed of who I was or what I was doing, instead, I had no idea where my future was going to take me.

Then, I came to college. My whole world changed. I started being able to picture my future and actually feel so close to it. I started doing what I truly wanted to do and took classes related to it. Even though I was still somewhat unsure of the totality of my future, I had one, and that was enough to talk about.

Fast forward to now, where I am a college sophomore, I love talking about my future. I enjoy gathering with family members on holidays and catching them up on what has been going on in my life. I tell them about the classes I'm taking, how dance is going, tell them about my sisters and update them on all the organizations I've joined. I also talk to them about what I want to do in the future and potentially network. It's exciting being able to share with them that I am doing well, but not in the way I thought.

Being in a good place to talk about my future showed me that there really is nothing wrong with not knowing your future or not being super involved. You have to do what is right for you, and for some people, they aren't completely sure what that is. I was at that place before, where I was involved and happy, but deep down I had no idea if any of this was what I wanted to do.

Spoiler alert: I didn't end up continuing with any of the things I thought I would in college, except for dance, and that's perfectly okay! Sometimes your plans change and you have no control over it, or you do and you choose to change it. Whatever you end up doing, as long as it's good for you, that's all that matters!

This year, I am prepared to talk to family members at Thanksgiving dinner, but I wasn't always. Not everyone is, but it's okay. I learned how to be a good listener while still trying to figure out my future, so maybe that's where you're at. Figure it out, it'll happen soon enough!