Pray For Paris And Brussels, But What About Everywhere Else?
Politics

Every attack deserves global recognition, so why don't they get it?

46
crafthubs.com

November 13, 2015, was a night of panic and fear for the world; it was the night of the Islamic State of Iraq's attack in Paris, which killed over 200 civilians. The world was shocked, outraged, and saddened. It seemed as though every single news source, whether it be the Times or E! News, was reporting on the tragedy. Social media was full of #PrayforParis, and vigils and memorials were held in the victims honor. Mere months later, another attack. The morning of March 22, 2016, brought the ISIS attack on Brussels, and fear and rage swept the globe once again. #PrayforBrussels trended, media coverage increased once again, and people across the pond were in disbelief that another beautiful city had been attacked.

Both of these horrific incidents of terrorism brought the world to its knees and caused outrage even here in America. How dare ISIS attack Paris and Brussels, cities that weren't a part of the Middle East region, cities that were considered in the "safe" part of Europe. The world came together, and it was a powerful thing. But, where was that unity for all the other Islamic State attacks? Where was the outrage, and the global grief when terrorists stormed the Istanbul airport, killing 36 people and injuring over 100, just days ago? Istanbul's airport is the third largest in Europe, so obviously the attack was meant to cause some serious damage. Where was #PrayforTurkey? Or what about Baghdad? On Sunday, almost 150 civilians were killed by a bomb. No local news, no pop culture news have picked up either of these stories. And as for public outrage or even public knowledge? There's none of that.

People care about terror, but only when it matters to them. When it's a city they feel an attachment to, or when it's a beautiful, storybook-like place in Western Europe. Eastern Europe? That's the "bad" part of Europe to most. They ignore the history, the art, the amazing culture, and the people all because it's not the touristy area of Europe.

As for the Middle East, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone in the States that blinks an eye when lives are lost there. ISIS has terrorized the Middle East for the better part of the decade, but only when it became a Western issue did the rest of the world begin to pay attention. Is it a war zone? Yes. Is it a Muslim country? Yes. Is it inhabited by people that have absolutely no thoughts of radicalism, or have anything to do with this conflict? Yes. And that right there is why the world needs to pay attention, and care just a little bit more.

It shouldn't matter if the tragedy happened in Paris, in Brussels, in Turkey, or in Iraq. All that should matter is that a tragedy happened.

Religion, race, and where the victims call home shouldn't decide whether or not they deserve to be recognized and honored. . Every single person killed by the Islamic State, killed by this seemingly never-ending conflict, deserves the same depth of feelings as any other. Don't pick and choose who to mourn for, don't pick and choose who to pray for, and don't pick and choose who deserves the right of recognition.

Everyone does. So don't #PrayforParis or #PrayforBrussels, pray for everyone. Maybe then we'll actually get somewhere in regard to this mess.