5 Positive Changes Caused By Anti-Racism and Anti-Police Brutality Protests

The political demonstrations that will change society.

64
Photo by Clay Banks on Unsplash

Protests provide the opportunity for the public to speak out on their concerns in order to influence government policies and public opinion. The individuals who protests have a desire for change. In the wake of the death of George Floyd, individuals have exercised their right to protest in every corner of the nation. The acts of protesters have led to many positive changes.

Banning the use of chokeholds 

After the death of George Floyd, more controversy grew around the chokehold technique that police officers have practiced for decades when restraining a subject. The reason why this specific neck restraint technique has became controversial is because it has resulted in terrible outcomes or even death. Following the widespread protests, more than a dozen countries, states, and cities have decided to ban the use of chokeholds, including France, Connecticut, California, New York, Florida, Washington, Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington D.C.

Banning displays of the Confederate Flag

Many people believe that the Confederate Flag is meant to be an alternative to the American Flag and a way for an individual to express the pride of their Southern Heritage. However, the flag has come with many hateful secondary purposes: slavery and white supremacy. Acknowledging the effects the display of the Confederate Flag may cause, NASCAR and the U.S. Marine Corps have issued a ban on future displays of the flag.

Banning the use of No-Knock Warrants

The deaths of Kathryn Johnston and Breonna Taylor have made evident of the dangers no-knock warrants impose onto the lives of the innocent. In the wake of the 2020 protests, a police reform bill was proposed that will ban no-knock warrants. This bill is known as "Justice in Policing Act of 2020."

Leaders resign after complaints of racist company culture 

After receiving criticisms from the public concerning racial equity, nationwide leaders have resigned from their positions. Some on the many leaders who had resigned are the co-founder of Reddit, the CEO of Second City, and the CEO of CrossFit.

Law Enforcements being reformed 

Many police departments have promised to reform their budgets and policies, including many cities and states: Louisville, Minneapolis, Seattle, Sacramento, Washington D.C., New Jersey, and New York.