A Black Woman's Struggle With Makeup

Poetry On Odyssey: A Black Woman's Struggle With Makeup

You stand in front of a stand of foundation bottles ranging from shades of fair to deep.

111

A Black Woman's Struggle With Makeup

Sometimes you're in love with yourself.

Your soft, dipped in chocolate, glowy skin reminds her of her bronzed mother. For hours, she would watch her apply a fluffy brush to her face where she placed her foundation. Let her place a mask on her face; one that blends seamlessly. Her skin is magical, you see. Blend to get that flawless finish.

"Blend,

blend,

blend."

She whispered as she conceals under her eye. You notice the shade is lighter, an off-white that doesn't match her skin. It brings a highlight to her face. A light white translucent powder to set the face, but makes her look ashy. A black mascara wand to pump the eyelashes and tube of bright red lipstick on the lips to appear classy. Elegance with gold earrings dangling from her earlobes. Your eyes light up every time you look at her, there's a spark that gets the gears your brain moving.

Fair-Light Neutral

Light Neutral

Light Sand

Light-Medium Sand

Medium Honey

Medium Sand

Tan Sand

Deep Honey

Mahogany.

You swatch the only dark shade on your arm. You ask the employee to help looking for your shade. The sound of fairly light neutral girls laughing as they dip their fingers in eyeshadow fills your ears. Off color jokes in their heads, dismissed and ignored. This is your struggle, every woman with melanin running through their blue and green veins struggle.

You don't let that stop you. Standing next to the light medium sand woman makes you stand out. The vibrant colors of eyeshadow pigmented on your skin makes you unique from her. Don't be afraid to be special.