Poetry On The Odyssey: Remembering Your Childhood

I am from the little brown house, safe and exciting.

37

Many people reminisce over their childhood memories. You may think about the smell of your grandmother's cookies, the living room that you lost your first tooth in, or the Christmas present you played with for years. Childhood is one of the most important parts of your life. Childhood molds you into the person you are.

There are many childhood memories I am fond of. Such as growing tomatoes with my Grammie Betsy. I love the smell of tomatoes and soil. It reminds me of all the memories I have of working in the garden with her. One of my favorite toys was my E-Z Bake Oven. I could not wait to cook yummy food, like my Grammie. My family firmly believes in family dinners. I loved sitting at the table, hearing about everybody's days. I also love our one-day adventures. Day trips to the zoo, museum, or the aquarium. I was always encouraged by my family. The would tell me "you can be anything you want to be, and "It's what's on the inside that counts." I appreciate my family and the wonderful memories I have with them. That is why my "Where I am From" Poem is one of my favorites. It is a beautiful piece of art that reminds me of my childhood.

Here is my Poem:

I am from the neighborhood

from Baby Alive and E-Z Bake Oven.

I am from the little brown house

safe, exciting.

I am from the tomatoes,

the sunflowers

tall and yellow.

I'm from two scoops of love and big hearts

from Miranda, Lisa, and Betsy.

I'm from family dinners and one day adventures.

From ,"you can be anything you want to be,"

and, "It's what's on the inside that counts."

I'm from Come Monday,

the Jimmy Buffett song that put me to sleep.

I'm from Woodstock,

pasta and burgers.

From the time we went tubing in Helen and I got stuck dangling from a rope.

The cut up feet my grammie had for weeks.

Backyards, museums, beaches, and mountains.

I am from stargazing in the front yard, planting vegetables in

the garden, and watching Jeopardy in the living room.

Here is a diagram, so you can make your own.

I love this poem because it makes me smile every time I read it. It includes a funny memory from one of my childhood vacations. When I was four, me, my Grammie Lisa, Grammie Betsy, my little brother, and my baby cousin were tubing in Helen. In the end, there was a rope to grab to pull the tube to land. My Grammie Betsy grabbed a hold of it. I wanted to help her. So, I grabbed on too. However, when she let go, I did not. This caused me to fly into the air. I was clinging to the rope and dangling over the river. My Grammie quickly noticed and came running to save me. I made it out without a single scratch. However, my Grammie Betsy's feet did not.

I hope this article inspires you to write your own. There are many different diagrams out there. Try to find one that best suits you.