Why I Listen To Podcasts More Than Music

An introduction to my recent hobby of listening to podcasts.

38

Podcasts, if you didn't know, are downloadable files that usually part of a series, but I describe them as radio shows.

There are literally thousands if not more online about almost any topic you are interested in. I love crime shows and true crime stories and while there is plenty of those to listen to, my recent obsession is a show called Dr. Death produced by Wonderly. It is not for the weak hearted, but it tells the story of Dr. Christopher Duntsch, a neurosurgeon who practiced in Dallas, Texas. I won't spoil any of the details, but if you would like to learn about some of the flaws in the American medical industry, then I urge you to listen to this six-part miniseries.

Another big passion of mine is animals and there is a Snapchat account called thegoldenratio4 that is run by a woman with five golden retrievers named Jasmine, Hopper, Maggie, Venkman and Queso (my favorite). The Snapchat is wonderful, but the "parents" of the dogs have a podcast titled The Golden Ratio Podcast, where there are more in-depth stories of the girls and other general dog-related topics.

There are also a lot of podcasts hosted by celebrities such as John and Hank Green, Anna Faris, Anderson Cooper and Chelsea Peretti. Some of these people are authors, actresses or journalists, but they are all popular. The variety of their work means that they talk about a lot of different topics on their personal podcasts.

Most podcasts are about 40 minutes to an hour in length which makes them perfect for long drives or, in my personal experience, waiting on the public bus and then walking to classes. I enjoy the entertainment value as well as the educational element of these shows. They are also really good for bringing up in conversation.

You can find podcasts on the Podcast App on iPhone and other Apple devices and search podcast in your other device's app stores. While I still listen to the radio every once in a while, music kind of gets repetitive to me so these podcasts really take the boredom out of mundane daily life.