Why Do Plus Size Retailers Use Straight Size Models?

Can the Plus Size clothing industry ever get it right?

60
Unsplash

Although the start of a plus size clothing industry has been one of huge celebration, customers and observers alike have found a strange occurrence. Plus Size retailers have been using straight sized models for their images.

In the growing industry of plus size clothing, the industry still remains confused of certain aspects of advertising their products. Fashion Nova has fallen under this error of judgement. Although the brand often promotes body positivity, they have failed in representing plus sized models.

Fashion Nova is currently being criticized for advertising their plus sized clothes on size 2, straight sized, women. This not only makes the customer uncertain of how an article of clothing will look on their body, but it is also an inaccurate portrayl of what the product is.

Fashion Nova has said they will be making all of their products into plus by the end of 2017, but how can they promote one thing yet say another? It begs to question the integrity of the brand itself.

As more brands expand into plus sized options, I reach out to all of the future plus size brands to listen to me, a plus size customer myself. Please represent plus sized women accurately and this starts with how you feature your products on models.

In a time of inclusivity and body positivity, brands should look out to promote more of this because that is what the people truly want.

Fashion Nova is on the right track. Plus Sized women struggle to find clothing in their sizes at straight sized stores and expanding straight size brands into plus sizes is a step in the right direction for equality and inclusivity.

I can only recommend from personal experience as a customer that brands that accurately portray their customers and demonstrate a culture of inclusivity, succeed for not only plus sized customers, but all customers.