Plastic Hurt Environment Reduce

13 Simple, Unique Ways To Reduce How Much Plastic You Use

Plastic is killing our animals. It is ruining our environment, but never fear, here are some tips to prevent just that!

6
​Flickr / USAG Ansbach
https://www.flickr.com/photos/usagansbachphotos/43130067750

Plastic is harming the world we have today. It causes harm to animals, and it creates lots of waste. The amount of plastic we use in our daily lives is huge, and a total of 30 million tons of plastic waste was generated in the United States in 2009. Out of that only, 7 percent was recovered for recycling.

1. Give Up Gum, Use Mints Instead.

Wikimedia

This one, as surprising as it might be, is actually the one that could start making the difference. Gum is made of rubber, and that is what makes it so chewy and everlasting. Next time you want to use gum, think about the two or three fish you may kill in that process. The solution? Eat mints. They do the same thing, but they just are not everlasting.

2. Do Not Use Plastic Straws.

This is a big one. Just stop using plastic straws for everything. You can use reusable straws, but at restaurants (or at any place, really), do not use straws. Did you know that we use more than 500 million plastic straws in a single day? Those are a lot of straws that are getting stuck in animals' mouths. We have a tendency to ask for the plastic straw everywhere, but instead, purchase steel, glass, or even bamboo straw that can be used multiple times without harming the environment.

3. Buy Reusable Containers Instead Of Plastic Bags.

Static Flickr

This is an easy one if you think about it. When you go to the store, bring your own reusable bag instead of using a plastic one since over one million bags are used globally every day, making the annual total about five hundred billion plastic bags. When you have leftover food, do not put it in a Ziploc bag; put it in a container. Want a plastic utensil? Invest in metal ones. They will last longer, too. All of these ways will not only help the environment, but they will also cost less money, too!

4. Use Wire Hangers Instead.

Maxpixel

There is so much plastic used for each hanger. If you laid out all the plastic wires today, there would be over eight million miles, and this is beyond the orbit of the moon. With this many miles, it is inevitable that a majority would end up in the landfills. Steel hangers, on the other hand, degrade much faster because they are 100% recyclable and they are more sturdy than the plastic hangers.

5. Switch To Cardboard

Wikimedia

Just like plastic used to be a close friend of yours, make cardboard the new one. Everything you buy, including detergent to pasta boxes, all come in cardboard containers. Since cardboard degrades faster than plastic, it will be gone before you know it, and you will be helping the environment just like that! What to do one better? Look for companies that source their cardboard sustainably, this will help in reducing deforestation.

6. Try Using A Non-Plastic Razor.

Flickr

Your disposable razor is made of plastic. This plastic also plays a role in the amount of plastic that we have on our planet. Instead of using that every month and tossing it, invest in a razor that allows you to simply change the blade. Sure, it would be an extra step every month, but you would be helping the environment in the process too!

7. Take The Extra Step At The Deli.

Wikimedia

When you go to the deli to get your meat or cheese, they usually wrap it for you in a plastic covering. This plastic covering will take years to decay. As a replacement, take your own container and have them put it in their or if you do not have your own container, ask them to wrap it in paper. Just like cardboard, paper would degrade faster!

8. Use Cloth Towels.

Whenever you have a spill, your first instinct would usually be to grab as many paper towels as possible. However, if you use a cloth towel, you save the paper towels. This, in turn, would save some space in you plastic bag that is being filled for garbage. Even a little space like that can make a large difference.

9. Use Your Mail.

Need to ship something delicate? Well, instead of using plastic bubble wrap, use your junk mail. By shredding your junk mail, you are saving space in your plastic garbage, and you are able to get the same safety effect that you would get by using the bubble wrap.

10.  Switch to Candles or Incense.

Kaboom Pics

Using air fresheners in your room sure make your room smell nice. However, by using candles or incense you get the same effect in a more natural way! These alternatives allow for the smell to be produced in a more fragrant way, so your room will smell nicer for longer! Plus, they run out quicker, so you will be able to try new fragrances.

11. Take Your Own Containers For Leftovers.

Flickr

After eating a hearty meal, there is bound to be leftovers. Bring your own container to put these leftovers in becasue the restaurant will simply give you a plastic container that will end up in the trash. In addition, this will help you remember that you have leftovers, so they will not go bad.

12. Properly Dispose Of Compost.

Wikimedia

If you have a back yard, put all of your leftovers that go bad there. This will help reduce the amount of trash that you throw out because it will allow for more space to be made in your plastic garbage bag. Plus, you will be giving the earth more food to use to give us food again!

13. Make Your Own Soap.

Flickr

This is a hard one, but a lot of the soap we use comes in plastic packaging. In order to reduce this, try making your own soap at home. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done, so instead, try finding your make-up products and soaps in paper or cardboard coverings.