A Little Piece Of Home Everywhere You Go

You can take the people out of Pittsburgh, but you cant take Pittsburgh out of the people.

51
Steel City

For being such a small city Pittsburgh is huge.

For the past couple summers, as most people do, I traveled to many different cities, states and countries. Although they were all unique in their own way, there was one thing that they all had in common...Pittsburgh. It doesn't matter if you're going to the next city or the next country, if you're a Pittsburgher, you will see these things everywhere you go.

1. Restaurants/Bars

Everyone knows that Pittsburgh has some of the best restaurants and bars out there. However, what's even more interesting is traveling to a different location and coming across a Pittsburgh-themed bar or restaurant. In almost every sports bar across the US, you will find some sort of Pittsburgh sports memorabilia hanging loud and proud on the wall a long with a Pittsburgher taking a picture next to it with their thumbs up, letting everyone in the bar know where they are from and how proud they are to be a Pittsburgher. Earlier this Summer, my family and I made our way to Cincinnati Ohio for my cousins wedding. While we were there, we decided we should all go out to eat, and behold we came across a Pittsburgh-themed sports bar. And, if you think that is amazing, you wouldn't believe that there is an actual Steelers sports bar in La Botticella in Rome. How cool is that!Not only does our Steeler nation spread across surrounding cities and states but around the world!

2. Sports

Whether you're on the road or walking around, you are destined to come across our Pittsburgh Sports teams. On the way to your vacation, if you look out your car window in between movies, groggy naps, or arguments with your family you will notice that there are fellow Pittsburghers or Pittsburgh fans with our Sports team logos all over their cars. And if you have any Pittsburgh sports logos on your car, you will immediately be able to tell if you have fellow Pittsburgh locals around you because they will probably be honking their horn and waving a terrible towel out of the window. If you're wandering the boardwalk or the beach and look around, I guarantee you will see fellow Pittsburghers and Pittsburgh fans sporting T-shirts and Jerseys of the sports teams that make us proud.

3. Pittsburghers

You can hear them and see them from a mile away. They are usually wearing some form of Pittsburgh sports team memorabilia, either a Steelers or Penguins jersey, a Pirates hat... you name it and they have it on. Or if it isn't a sports team they usually have a T-shirt with "412" or some sort of Pitsburghese phrase like "yinz" on it. While most would find this embarrassing, they couldn't be more proud of it and they wear it boldly. You can find them arguing with the sports fans of other teams, and at every sports bar (intoxicated or not) they will be the ones singing the Steelers "Here We Go" theme song or you can hear them scream and shout in their one of a kind, very distinct "yinzer" accent that we all know and love.

So, if you're ever feeling homesick just take a look around! No matter where you are you can't help but feel comforted knowing that everywhere you go there's a little piece of Pittsburgh on the cars, restaurants and the people around you. And if you can't see Pittsburgh, just open your ears and before you know it you will hear the song of our people... and while everyone else is cringing... it's music to our ears.