Peru's Favorite Christmas Songs

Peru's Favorite Christmas Songs

The songs that help Peru get into the Christmas spirit.

2184
Peru's Favorite Christmas Songs

Starting the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas music is going to be the only thing we hear in the world...and I could not be more excited. I love Christmas music! It puts me in the Christmas spirit and makes my day a little bit better. However, sometimes people will ask me what my favorite Christmas song is, and I cannot give them an answer. From Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" to "Carol of the Bells", I always think the choice is too hard to decide.

So, I decided to ask people in the Peru community, including Nebraska City and Auburn, to share with me their favorite Christmas songs. As I asked around, I realized that there are some awesome stories behind their favorite Christmas songs. Here are some stories from the Peru Community.

"My father has family that lives in Columbus, NE. I'm originally from Norfolk, NE - 40 miles away from Columbus. We would always take road trips together to go visit family and listening to songs together was always a must! Around Christmas time, Little Drummer Boy by Anne Murray was one of our favorites. To this day, it's still my favorite Christmas song!"
-Aleeyah, Nebraska City

"Anything by Michael Buble because his voice sounds like Jesus"
-Anna, Nebraska City

"My favorite song is O Come All Ye Faithful. During Christmas Eve mass it is just the song that completes the Christmas vibe for me. Or "That's Christmas to me" by Penatonix because It describes perfectly what Christmas is about"
~Marisa Pribnow, Senior

"I think I'd have to say New Kid in Town by Keith Whitley is my favorite song. It's a great song about the Christmas story, and Whitley is one of my favorite country singers."
~Dan Boshart, Sophomore

"My favorite Christmas song is "The Little Drummer Boy". I like the story about how he didn't really have any fancy material gift to give, so he played his drum for baby Jesus instead. I always liked the line "then he smiled at me" . Plus, Pentatonix and Josh Groban both have really good versions of it."
~Julia Zurek, Freshman

"I would have to say Silent Night, partially because I honestly don't know too many Christmas songs. It is one that we always play on Christmas Eve/Day, so whenever I hear it, it always reminds me of good, family times."
~Shawn Gaskill, Sophomore

"I have a ton of Christmas music. I think I have seven different versions of "Winter Wonderland" in my iTunes, no lie. Many of my favorite versions of Christmas music have an R&B feel. Only a grinch can listen to Aretha Franklin's version of "Winter Wonderland" and not smile! But in terms of thinking about my favorite Christmas song to actually sing, it is "O Come All Ye Faithful". I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but this particular song has a nice easy melody and my very very small vocal range can accommodate most of the notes."
~Dr. Gardner, Psychology Professor

"My favorite Christmas song is a tough one. However, if I have to pick one it would be Christmas in Killarney by Bing Crosby. This may not be a traditional Christmas song for many, but for me and my family, it is a must play every year. The song's words speak to me about how Christmas time brings out the best in friends and family. As well as, how it's a time for happiness and celebration.
Another family Christmas tradition is listening to the entire album "Old Fashioned Christmas" by the Carpenters. My mother's family listens to it, we listened to it growing up, and now my family continues the tradition of listening to it during the holiday season. Once again it brings back fantastic family memories."
~Mr. Vogt, Education Professor

"It was my first Christmas after college graduation. My family went on a trip to Hawaii, however, I couldn’t go because I hadn’t worked long enough to accrue vacation time. I spent Christmas Eve by myself at the family farm which was nestled in the woods along a small creek. Late into the evening, I took a walk down our long driveway, which was enveloped by trees. As I walked out to the road I remember to this day, how the beauty of snow-covered fields took my breath away and the sky in its vastness just seemed to open up with thousands of bright shining stars. The Christmas story came alive that quiet serene night! Looking out over the fields, I could imagine the shepherds tending their sheep and as I looked up at the sky it was if I could hear the angel voices singing. Without the usual distractions that surround Christmas celebrations I experienced Christmas in a way that was meaningful and memorable. What I thought would be a quiet insignificant lonely Christmas Eve, has become one of my favorites. And each time I hear O Holy Night, the thoughts of that contemplative Christmas Eve warm my heart."
~Elaine Hanson, First Lady of Peru State College

I really enjoyed hearing the stories of Peru's favorite Christmas songs. I appreciate those that shared their Christmas memories with me.

This holiday season, I encourage you to turn your Christmas music up and sing along, because as Buddy The Elf says, "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."

From Your Site Articles