People Suck: Dealing With Negative Vibes

28

Some people suck. Point blank. 

Some people lack that certain chip in their bodies that allow them to feel humility. Some people thrive on the failures of others, because it fills their infinite void of inadequacy. For as long as time has stood, these people will exist, and they will continue to suck.

These past couple of weeks, I have embarked on the exhausting journey of student government campaigning. Campaign season consists of overly stressed candidates standing awkwardly trying to gracefully talk to random strangers about topics these strangers so obviously don't care about. Most people will pass you by with a smile or a "no thank you" nod. Some will even stop and tolerate your annoyingly perky "schpiel" about budget allocations. And then there are the few who just plain suck. Those who condescend you, who look down at your opinions with disgust, who pass judgement on everything you stand for yet know nothing about you. 

One of these very few felt the need to point out my every flaw, to break me down and leave me feeling raw and unbelievably numb. I didn't want to cry in front of this person who made me feel so insignificant, couldn't let him see how powerful his words were. Because then he wins. 

Negativity should never win. I fought back those tears but the second he walked away, I cried. I cried because it wasn't just this random guy with hurtful words, it was the fact that people out there feel comfortable spewing hate for hate's sake. It hit me in a place very deep, to know that negativity like that persists so heavily within us. I felt hate after he left. I wanted to scream and throw things like a child, I wanted to yell in his face "YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME." His negativity was passed down to me. 

That is what words can do. They exist so pervasively and potently and cut through the skin like a pointed knife. One word has the potential to stay with us forever. Words like "Stupid," "Fat," "Ugly". It seems like these words brand us forever. I know I am not particularly stupid, fat or ugly, and yet I let the negative words of one stranger fill me with so much hate. That's the thing about hate, it is all consuming. Hate fills every crevice that is screaming out for attention, hate grows and festers within insecurity. 

All of a sudden I was comforted by a group of endearing support. I was welcomed by a smile, a genuine smile, and then words of positivity filled me with strength. I realized this one brief moment was nothing compared to the real world. Some people suck, I came to realize. But so what? Just be happy.

Because that's the thing about happiness, it's all consuming. Be kind to people. Be generous and considerate. Give people a chance. And above all else, don't be a sucky person-- because then people write articles about you and share them with their friends. You will be found sucky people, and you will be stopped.