Why Violence Is Not The Solution To Our Problems

How The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword, That's Just A Fact

Writing is a much better tool to approach conflict and has a lasting impact more than just violence.

42
Hector Cervantes

The popular phrase of how the pen is mightier than the sword has been passed down from generation to generation. Poet and playwriter Edward Bulwer-Lytton used the phrase "mightier sword" in his 1839 play about French foreign minister Cardinal Richelieu. Whenever the character of Richelieu would hear the attempt of an assassination of himself, he would use the phrase mightier sword. This phrase gave insight into whether or not violence was the right answer to solve issues and how writing has a lasting impact.

Through the use of words, situations can be resolved in a more appropriate matter. In history, many forms of violence took place as a result of using violence as a form of resistance. For example, both world wars, cruel punishments of the Medieval Times, gun violence and in more recent times wars such as the war with Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only is history repeating itself with violence, but it has followed society into the 21st century. Not only is writing and words that are spoken direct conflict over the sender and the receiver, but violence also harms innocent peoples which creates even more chaos.

One phrase that actually encourages violence is the popular phrase "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me." This encourages violence because it lets people know how the words someone uses will not hurt their feelings, it is the violence that someone does to another person that will hurt them in the end. This quote demonstrates how violence will be encouraged since words cannot hurt somebodies feelings.

Despite the two quotes having different meanings, these quotes reflect on how violence and words can help solve issues in order to better improve the lives of people. Individuals have different approaches and this has created a sense of divide in society. These quotes have the same intentions, but different approaches. Whether it be Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement with utilizing peace or Malcom X utilizing violence for the Civil Rights, this a common issue that deserves to be recognized.