peanut allergy treatment
food

10 Things You Should Never Say To Someone With A Peanut Allergy

Even if you aren't trying, you're probably being annoying.

72

I am allergic to peanuts. Yes, I know, it's a tragedy (or so I've been told). For my whole life, I've learned to deal with it; between knowing which foods to avoid and carrying medicine with me at all times in case of an emergency, I'm pretty much an expert at this point. As for those around me, I can't always say the same. No matter who I'm with, I seem to get questions about my allergy. While I usually don't mind answering them, it can be annoying to hear the same things over and over, as well as to explain yourself multiple times to the same person. Here's a list of the questions/comments I get ALL the time:

​1. What happens if you eat peanuts?

This one isn't actually that bad. Allergies are different for everyone, so it makes sense that people want to know how severely allergic I am. But at the same time, I always think to myself, "What do you think happens? I explode?" Most of the time, I'm good at holding back the sarcasm, though. Most of the time.

2. So if I go near you with my peanut butter, you'll die?

Sarcastic response: Yup. Right away, too. Might wanna leave the building, actually.

Polite response: You should probably keep your distance, but I won't die unless I actually eat it. And even then, I won't die unless I don't get my medicine. So no, I won't die.

​3. What's it like at the "peanut-free" table?

My allergy isn't severe enough to restrict me to the "peanut-free" table, but it was often joked about among my classmates. Joke's on them, most schools have switched to a "peanut" table for kids who do bring peanut products to eat.

4. You're missing out on peanut butter.

When you grow up without something, it's hard to miss it. For example, if you never ate apples for your whole life, would you really miss eating them? No, because you've never eaten them in the first place. Regardless, people are ALWAYS trying to convince me that I am worse off because of my allergy.

​5. Have you ever had peanuts before?

How do you think I figured out I was allergic? I didn't just pick a random food. For me, it happened when I was just starting to eat real food. My mom fed me peanut butter and I got a rash. The doctors said I was allergic, so that was the last time I intentionally ate peanuts.

6. Do you like the taste?

Believe it or not, I've actually had people ask me this question. The answer is a big NO. Eating peanuts makes me sick so WHY WOULD I LIKE THE TASTE??? Seriously, common sense could answer that for you.

7. ​I feel bad for you, I love *insert peanut butter candy bar here*!

Thank you for your pity, but I'm just fine over here with my Twix and Milky Way bars.

​8. I don't believe in allergies.

That must be nice. It's easy for me, however, to believe in them when I am unable to breathe because of something I just ate. I guess ignorance is bliss, right?

9. ​Maybe you'll grow out of it.

This is probably the most frustrating thing I was told as a kid. Do you know how awful it is to get a kid's hopes up that their allergy will go away when it most likely will not? That's just plain mean.

​10. *Waves peanut butter in my face* Does this bother you?

I got this a lot in school. Most of the time I just rolled my eyes because, no, it wouldn't kill me, but anyone waving anything in your face is bound to bother you.