My Part-Time Job Saved My Life

My Part-Time Job Made Me Realize I Can Do Anything

I would have never imagined that I'd love working so much, but here I am.

54

A little over a year ago, my mom told me I had a job interview at a restaurant in the town right over from mine. I had told her I had intentions of working elsewhere, but I just went with it.

I was returning home from my first year of college. A solid $10 in my bank account. We all know the struggle.

I remember being really annoyed about my mom setting up an interview without even asking me.

Prior to this, I was employed at a grocery store as a cashier since my sophomore year of high school. But the last thing I wanted to do was return to that place.

I remember feeling completely "whatever" about getting this job or not. I was never really someone who enjoyed working that much. But I did take the interview seriously.

I waited for about 45 minutes before a worker came up to me and asked me what I was waiting for. He then told me that my best bet was to just come back the next day. Annoying already.

I went back the next day and had my interview. It went well. I answered questions honestly and applied as a hostess. Within a week I was employed at Old Glory.

Fast forward a year later. I would have never imagined that I'd love working so much, but here I am. Almost looking for shifts on the reg.

Before returning to school at the end of last summer, my boss promised me a serving position for the next summer. I made it a point to work whenever I could to prove myself capable. But it wasn't easy working long hours as a food runner.

Today, I am a server. I have just worked my first shift on Mothers' Day and walked away with $200 in my hands. I never could have imagined making that kind of money in a single shift. Ever.

But there is so much more I have gained from this restaurant than just good money. And I know this is going to sound corny, but I have proved to myself that if I really want something, I will not give up.

My first shift was nerve-wracking. I felt my manager's eyes on me, and if you know me, I kind of struggle under pressure. But the most important piece of advice I learned from my coworker was to just be confident. And I followed that.

I have also gained a ton of relationships from my job. I think that it is important to create friendships everywhere in life, especially in a work environment. It just makes work more do-able.

By being myself, confident, and just working hard, I have proved to both my boss and myself that I am fully capable of and deserving of this promotion.

I advise anyone unsure of themselves to just go for it. Fuck it. Take advantage of opportunities and try to be the best version of yourself, not anyone else. If you spend your life comparing yourself to others, are you really living for yourself?