Part III: The Forest

Part III: The Forest

26
Part III: The Forest

Running wasn’t the best idea but Nancy was quickly getting desperate. She tore through the woods, her hands the only things keeping her from crashing into trees that appeared from out of nowhere. The moon was out of sight, making the already dark forest even more treacherous, as Nancy panted along. Before she knew what was happening, she was flying forward and landed sprawled on all fours.

On the verge of hyperventilating, Nancy forced herself to lie on the ground where she had fallen and collect herself. After a few deep breathes, she slowly sat up and looked around. Her foot must have caught on a root while she was running and landed her in the middle of a clearing. The moon had appeared from behind clouds right above her and seemed to be shinning just on the patch of grass she was sitting in. Daring to look behind her, Nancy saw trees that lined the clearing but branches and trunks crowded together so much, it was impossible to see beyond.

Everything is dark, she thought. She was lost in the woods. Robbie was nowhere to be found. And something was out there. Drawing her knees to her chest, Nancy let out a whimper. This couldn’t be happening. Ok, ok, she thought. Find something positive. This isn’t a hopeless situation. What can I use to my advantage? Looking up, the moon was her only source of light. It wasn’t quite full but it was enough to give off a welcoming glow, one that gave her enough hope to begin to think. She needed to get back to her car. She would be safe there until the sun came up. She could go find help and maybe Robbie then. Most importantly, she needed to stay calm. Running around wildly had gotten her discombobulated the first time; she didn’t need that panic now.

Brushing the dirt off her clothes as she stood, Nancy settled on her resolve and turn before remembering something. Patting her pockets, she reached into her back jean pocket and drew out her phone triumphantly. She knew she was too deep into the woods to get service but the flashlight would be useful and so would the compass. Unlocking her phone, Nancy’s heart sank a little as a message popped up. 20% battery. Ok, she could work with this. Low power mode was on, and she wasn’t using data or wifi, so could last her awhile. Deciding that east was the way to go, Nancy looked into the woods and froze.

Two balls of red shone out from between the darkness from the east. Blood red and huge. Nancy couldn’t move. She willed her feet to run and her mouth to open and scream but she was rooted to the spot. The eyes, if you could call them that, started to float around, trees rustling as its unseen body brushed against them. It was circling her.

Standing in the middle of the clear, in the middle of the moonlight, Nancy didn’t know what to do. Was this going to be the way that she went out? Terrified and alone, attacked by something she couldn’t even see? She tracked the solid red eyes as they moved across from her, still hidden by the woods, and stopped. It seemed to be waiting…but for what? Nancy forced her foot to step backwards, where it crunched a twig. She gritted her teeth as an unholy scream erupted from the creature. It rushed side to side, keeping on the edge of the woods. Nancy looked up at the moon, her one lasting hope, and paled as she saw an approaching cloud.

Once that cloud moved over the moon, she would lose sight of the creature, and darkness would be the last thing she’d see. Looking from the only source of light to the creature, still pacing in the trees, Nancy racked her brain to think of a way out. But before she could even move, the light began to disappear. The creature noticed and stopped moving, becoming fixated on it’s victim again. Nancy started to breathe faster as the dark crept closer to her, overtaking the far part of the clearing, and heading to her side. The red orbs glided in her direction and in that moment, Nancy was prepared to die.

As the last light touched her foot, Nancy squeezed her eyes shut as the creature made another horrendous shriek, and waited for darkness.