A Plea From Your Local Swim Instructor

A Plea From Your Local Swim Instructor

The importance of teaching your kids to swim.

62
A Plea From Your Local Swim Instructor
Fitness

Dear Parents Of Small Children,

It’s the middle of winter, and while you might not be thinking of putting your children in swimming lessons, I am here to tell you that it should be on your mind.

I truly believe that every child should know how to swim. When I see the news that another drowning has occurred because a child went out too far in the water and was unable to swim, it breaks my heart, knowing that it could have been prevented. Swimming is one of those skills that your children will use for the rest of their lives. According to the CDC, one in five people who die from drowning are children age 14 and younger. Children are at risk these days, as “Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects)."

Some of these could’ve been prevented.

The CDC states that the lack of swimming ability is one of the major causes of drowning, however, “participation in formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning among children 1 to 4 years old.”

From the lack of swimming knowledge to the insufficient supervision and the failure to wear a life jacket, mistakes are made and lives are put at risk.

All of these can be avoided.

By teaching your children to swim, not only are you teaching them a valuable, lifelong skill, but you are also preparing them for many situations that could become deadly if they do not know how to swim. To add on, wearing a life jacket is also a huge factor in preventing drowning. Teens and adults may not think that they need one, or that they are not stylish to wear, but at that point in life, you are able to make that decision for yourself. For the safety of your children, though, put them in life jackets, because "potentially, half of all boating deaths could have been prevented with the use of a life jacket.”

So, as you are looking for activities to fill the days of your youngsters, I urge you to put them in lessons if you have yet to do so. Because you never know what their future might bring.

I find so much joy in teaching kids how to swim. They teach me things as well. The growth that they make and the joy in their eyes when things begin to click put a smile on my face. Your kids may not remember me or those that taught them how to swim, but they will remember the skill for the rest of their lives.

I hope I see your kids in lessons someday soon,

Your Swim Instructor.