Studying Abroad In Orvieto, Italy

The Most Special Place In The World, Orvieto Has My Heart

The life of living in a different country. Is Orvieto for you?

296
Betsy DiLello

The summer of 2018 I had the ability and opportunity to go abroad in Orvieto, Italy. I chose to go abroad and lived in Orvieto Italy for two months. My study abroad program and I traveled to a lot of different places which were Venice, Rome, Florence, Siena, and many more places. I can say now that it was a life changing experience. Italy is a beautiful country because it is so peaceful and the beauty is flawless. I thought that living in Italy was the best decision I made. Orvieto is a small town in Italy with very nice people who live there and food that is amazing.

One of the best experiences from studying abroad with my program is that there were two choices which were wine tasting or how to make spaghetti from scratch with a woman that is a great cook and that lives in Italy. I chose to learn how to make spaghetti from scratch. My group and I had to make homemade spaghetti dough and we looked at different plants such as a fig tree, almond tree, and how tomatoes are grown from Italy. The type of spaghetti we made was ragu which is noodles with homemade meat sauce. Ragu in Italian cuisine is a meat-based sauce that is commonly served with pasta. The final product turned out delicious. I am memorized by the ragu spaghetti we made and the different types of Italian food I ate. The types of food I ate in Italy were Caprese salad, homemade spaghetti sauce with tomato sauce, pizza, espresso, cappuccino, and different types of red and white wines.

When I knew I was going to Italy, I started to think about their culture and how I have never learned Italian before. I thought that the language of Italian is beautiful and inspiring compared to what our world is used to in the United States. People in this world should be open and try out new countries like Italy. A favorite I always miss is Italy's gelato. It was made fresh and sweet. I still remember ordering my first gelato in the gelato shop in Orvieto. The gelato I ordered was chocolate, coffee, and peach. It was a tradition in Italy to have three different flavors. I would sit down with my friends enjoying the warm breeze, the views, and to take a moment to eat my gelato.

One of my favorite pieces of architecture in Italy was the old cobblestone of the streets. The cobblestone in Italy caught my attention because it was so fascinating to see. The architecture of the Duomo Di Orvieto looked incredible and breathtaking because when I went on a tour inside I knew it took a long time to build and has history along with it. The lesson I learned from going abroad is that going out my comfort zone helped me grow as a person and made me more independent. I believe that you can change the world by going abroad and from exploring different countries.