Orientation Season Is The Best Season

Orientation Season Is The Best Season

And here is why I love what I do.

51
Orientation Season Is The Best Season
Taniya Frazier

Almost everyone has been to an orientation. Whether the orientation was for work, school, or a community activity orientations are functions of the present. However, college orientation is the huge occasion that I want to shed light on today. With the end of classes and free schedules, summer has finally started for a lot of people. The excitement of graduation is in the air and there are tons of fresh faces getting ready for college. This is where I come in because I am an orientation leader at Auburn University at Montgomery. We are called the S.W.O.T. Team and that stands for Successful Warhawks Orientation and Transitions Team. With an awesome name like that, who wouldn’t enjoy orientation? My duty is welcoming all new incoming students to AUM’s lovely campus. I answer all questions that come my way, no matter how big or small. I strive to make each incoming student’s orientation fun and meaningful.

I get the pleasure of waking up early in the morning and seeing new faces. I get to help incoming students plan and transition to another new journey. Some may say that we are “cheerleaders” or we’re just “too much”, but we are just excited to welcome students to our growing family. Orientation is about getting accustomed to a new home and a fresh start. Just think of me as student’s helpful liaison between high school and college or just college in general. When attending a college orientation, one should make it purposeful. When you are there, be there! Try not to miss out on activities, small conversations, and presentations because they could be the small spark to a spectacular outcome at orientation.

I am so thankful for being a part of S.W.O.T. Team and making friendships that I know will last for many years to come: hilarious conversations, genuine friendships, leadership experience. All of these and more are pieces of the big puzzle. I can honestly say that without my fellow S.W.O.T. members, orientation wouldn’t be as educational, fun, and exciting as it is today. However, orientation isn’t possible without the students. Incoming students fuel our fire at orientation. If parents and students see smiles on our faces, know that it is real. As an orientation leader, I can say that with being a face for AUM it is important to care about my school and my peers. As faces of AUM, we care about our students and their future. We care if a student needs extra help in a class or goes beyond average. We care if students enjoy their time at AUM. All in all, we care. I love doing what I do best and that’s helping and socializing with others. I know when the summer comes around that it’s not a time to be glum or lazy, but a time to be ecstatic and courageous. Spending time with incoming students makes orientation season the best season ever!