Opinion: A Proposal On Abortion
Politics

Opinion: A Proposal On Abortion

While controversial, it needs to be said.

203
Opinion: A Proposal On Abortion

Whether you are pro life or pro choice, it is vital that we respect each and every opinion. Recently it came to my attention that we have been fighting a raging war against opinions and there never seems to be time for anyone to listen to each other. I have watched as others have been insulted for what they believe and are told that they are wrong. You can never be wrong when stating your opinion. Your opinion stems from the person inside you. Your opinion is made from your beliefs and morals and should never be told that you shouldn't believe something. I decided to write this piece to share a view point that I believe in, while showing that everyone is entitled to an opinion. So, hold no fear when sharing your opinion. Whether one considers it right or wrong, it is what you believe in.

Each woman holds the undeniable rights to her body. Evidently this right extends to the undeniable right to any child that she may carry inside her body and the termination there of. No government official, medical doctor, religious clergy, public official, or private citizen may suggest alternate implications there of. With the exception of the woman being mentally handicapped or under the age of fifteen, no other person can determine the fate of her child or fetus.

If this is the case the closest relatives of the woman, in descending order, are to be the primary consent ie: her parents or guardians, grandparents, or closest living relative. If the woman does not have any relatives and is deemed mentally unstable it is the choice of the doctor. The father of the child there in will also hold rights to the child. However, these rights are excluded to the father, if the father participated in any form of sexual harassment or abandonment to the mother of the child. The father’s rights are limited, if he is not married to the mother of the child.

Therefore, the proposal stands that the woman possesses the ultimate decision as to whether or not she considers it best to have an abortion. This amendment has a clause: if the woman declares a termination after the point as to which the doctor deems the child could be delivered and survive, then this amendment is no longer applicable.

This amendment focuses on gender equality. It illustrates that women and men deserve equal rights. There is no amendment stating that men and women are equal, this amendment covers the rights of women to have the rights to choose abortion. This acts as a stepping-stone to eventually create an amendment specifying each individual as equal.