Opinion | Fighting Abuse Of Power
Politics

Opinion | Fighting Abuse Of Power

Nurse Assaulted And Arrested For Protecting Patient

53
Opinion | Fighting Abuse Of Power
Crystal Van Houtte

A video released on Thursday showed the unlawful detainment of a Utah nurse being dragged out of a hospital by an officer for doing her job. On July 26, 2017, a former Olympic Alpine skier, nurse Alex Wubbels refused requests from Detective Jeff Payne to draw blood from an unconscious victim, because the victim was not under arrest, had not given consent and the police did not have a warrant.

As nurse Wubbels began to explain why blood could not be drawn from the victim with her supervisor on speakerphone, Detective Jeff Payne became unhinged and proceeded violently to arrest the nurse for following hospital policy.

The visibly terrified nurse continued to scream for help as she was assaulted and abducted from the hospital by the rage filled Detective.

It is that the only person trying to uphold the law on that day was nurse Alex Wubbels. It is unconstitutional for a police officer to obtain blood from a patient without a warrant, if the patient is not under arrest, and if the patient has not given consent for their blood to be drawn. The United States Supreme Court gave a straightforward ruling on this subject, ruling it unconstitutional without a warrant, probable cause, or consent.

Detective Payne was aware that he did not have the probable cause to obtain a warrant to ascertain blood from the victim. Payne admitted he could not get a warrant to a nearby officer. So, Payne conspired to make an illegal detainment of the unconscious patient, even if it violated the patient's constitutional rights.

The Mayor and Chief of Police have issued statements apologizing to Alex Wubbels and condemning the actions of Payne, who has been placed on paid leave while the independent criminal investigation into his actions is underway.

Unfortunately, these types unlawful arrests have become common occurrences in this country.

An Oklahoma Paramedic and Iraq war veteran, Maurice White Jr. was assaulted, violently choked, taunted and arrested by Oklahoma state trooper Daniel Martin, as White attempted to transport a woman in need of medical attention to the hospital.

A Chula Vista Firefighter named Jacob Gregoire was arrested while trying to administer aid during a rollover car crash.

A Hazelwood Firefighter was arrested while helping an injured person on the highway.

San Francisco public defender Jami Tillotson was arrested in the courthouse by Sargent Brian Stansbury because she explained to her clients that they did not have to give consent to be photographed by police. When she attempted to do her job and protect her clients' constitutional rights, she was arrested.

The United States Of America needs to start taking these abuses of power seriously. Citizens need to stop making excuses for officers that violate the constitutional rights of the people they are paid to protect. Citizens must convict these officers to the fullest extent of the law when human rights violations have occurred. We need to resist the normalization of officers that abuse their authority, murder, kidnap, mercilessly beat, choke, threaten, and unlawfully arrest citizens, especially when they are upholding the law.