An Open Letter to the Guy Who Thought He Broke My Heart

I'm stronger and happier now.

8

The worst feeling is waking up so happy to spend a day with the one you love, only to end up crying and confused. Almost two years had gone by and everyone thought we were going to make it all the way and create a life together. Some saw how flawed we were as a couple, yet I was so blind by you and your charm. You lured me into living your lifestyle and changing my life unknowingly for you.

I should have stopped you after the numerous jabs at my weight and eating habits. I was never going to be the girl you wanted to create for yourself. I realized that I was a doll you wanted to model into the perfect girl for you. I never was going to be that perfect girl, and you knew that after I would put up a fight and stand up for myself. You wanted total control over me, my body, my mind and my soul. I did not know it, but I was stuck in a cage, only to be let out when you wanted to play with my heart strings.

You hated everything about my life, why you stuck around as long as you did, no one will ever know. I gave up my passions for you, and that I did unknowingly. Your life consumed mine, even when you told me not to come see you, I couldn't resist your temptation and charm. You had me wrapped around your finger for almost two years. I was trapped and my friends couldn't say anything because they didn't want to cause any tension, they knew I would stick up for you. I was obsessed with keeping you happy and making sure I did everything exactly the way you wanted. I disregarded many aspects of my own life to cater to yours.

Almost two years went by and I missed my life, I missed my passions. I wanted to leave you many times, but I couldn't bring myself to break from the routine. I was so secure and safe knowing you'd text me every morning, throughout the day and text me goodnight. You'd see me every weekend and it was a solid routine.

This routine was shaken up for the better, I was left in a park by myself after you told me that you didn't want me in your life. After all I did for you, I realized it was all for nothing. You didn't care about all I sacrificed and everything I went through to make you happy. You didn't care one bit. I was left trembling, crying and throwing up. I wasn't upset by losing you, I was upset about losing our routine. I was upset about losing my safety blanket. I was upset about losing what I thought my future was supposed to be.

I now realize that what happened that day was completely amazing and a blessing. I can see you're truly happy and living your life. As I am doing the same. Even though you swore you needed to be on your own I see pictures with her, it hurts, but I know that I could never be that girl. She is the girl you always wanted me to be.

I have found the other half of my heart, it was found almost four years ago. An amazing guy walked into my life four years ago at a crazy time. The timing was wrong and we stayed close friends throughout everything. Now we realized that we needed to make mistakes and truly see what we wanted in life and we reconnected. The way he looks at me, you know it's real. Not to say what we had wasn't real, this kind of passion and true love cannot me mistaken. You loved the idea of me, but you never really loved me for who I was and who I will always be.

I am an overweight, short, lovable, passionate, caring, spontaneous, funny, loud, obnoxious girl. I found someone who loves eating whatever the heck we want, whenever we want. Who will go on spontaneous road trips with me at the drop of a hat. Who will sing country songs obnoxiously for hours. Who will laugh genuinely at all my jokes. Who will endure hours in a boat fishing with me. Who will surprise me with my favorite candy. Who will show up hours early to surprise me with a visit. Who will be protective over me and care about me in ways you tried to, but never really wanted to. Who will love me for being imperfect.

Thank you for everything you have done for me. I don't resent you, I still will always have a place in my heart for you. You said many of those things yourself. You didn't care about me or appreciated me as much as you should have. I thank you for recognizing that and I thank you for letting me go. I was never going to leave you. I don't think I could have, even when I thought about it. But you allowed me to find someone who truly does care about me in ways I know you wanted to, but never could. You allowed someone to appreciate all I do for them, and I have someone who will equally do things for me.

I feel like I am in control of my life again. Everyone always tells me how happy I look and seem everyday. They are right, I couldn't be happier.

Thank you for breaking my heart. It made me stronger and happier.