To My Straight Roommates

To My Straight Roommates

From your not-so-straight roommate.

1251
To My Straight Roommates
YouTube

In life, making friendships and lifelong bonds is hard. Bonding with roommates that your college has randomly chosen for you is harder. Being the only gay roommate in a suite with three other straight guys is even harder. So here's an open letter to my straight roommates from your not-so-straight roommate.

First, thank you for not requesting to change rooms just because of my sexuality. Trust me, it's been done before and I'm sure it will be done again. I know it can be awkward having a gay guy living with three straight guys. It clearly wasn't a situation you decided to be in.

Thank you for being nice enough to introduce yourself to all 37 of my boyfriends you have met in the first week of school. Don't worry, I'm sure by the end of the semester I'll have cut the number in half. For example, this guy is just my BRUNCH boyfriend.

Thank you for letting me believe that I'm the fashion police of our room. I'll be the first person to tell you what you need to change in your wardrobe and I'll probably want to have an intervention and you'll probably not enjoy it but you'll secretly be thanking me anyway.

Thank you for being on top of my schedule. In life, many people say there is "Island Time", but then for me, I'm on "Gay Time." Fashionably late turns into what I believe should be the seasons' newest trend. So thanks for waking me up at 8:00 a.m. for my 9:15 a.m. class when I probably came in at 3 a.m. and told myself I'm just "fashionably late" for bed.

Thank you for putting up with my weekly "Girls Night" where about 40 random girls who have claimed me as their "Gay Best Friend" come over to watch the stereotypical showing of Mean Girls, and take up our entire living room to loudly discuss the latest gossip and talk about all of the latest boys we want to get with or have gotten with.

Most importantly-- thank you for not judging me. In the world we live in today, so many people are so quick to judge. As roommates, we see the good, the bad, the crazy, the fun, and the just plain strange sides of each other. You have all decided to accept me anyways with my sexuality, my constant flow of new boys, and my constant critiques of every outfit that you guys wear. You're always there when I need that much-needed laugh, need an escort to my bedroom when I come in super late, or to let me inside because I forgot my passport and room key.

Whether you guys know it or not, you have become some of my greatest friends. Living with a super social, super gay guy like me may not always be what you imagined your freshman year of college to be, but life never truly turns out the way you plan. You have to expect the unexpected. So I'm sorry for every time I've caused you to have a brain overload from my extreme gayness, but yet, you still let me live with you and still put up with me. There is no one else I would rather share my food with, share all of my girls with, and express my gayness upon more than the three straight roommates I live with.

So here's to a great rest of the year as four college roommates; three straight and one not-so-straight.

Have a gay day, fellas,

Your Neighborhood Homo, Percy