An Open Letter To The Sisters I Never Knew I Needed

How sweet it is to be a Kappa Phi.

16
Becca Limore

There's no sweeter name than the name of Jesus and there's no sweeter friend than a sister.It took me eighteen years to figure that out. It also took moving an hour and a half away from home and walking straight into Northeastern State. Week one I spent my time trying to find my home away from home. I'm in band and I enjoy it, but it didn't feel like a family. I spoke with different clubs, but never felt comfortable. I visited three different sororities, and the girls were all sweet, but I was still unsatisfied. Something in me didn't feel at home. I had given up and was completely disappointed. I decided that college was going to be exactly like high school, just something I had to get done.

I've never been more wrong. My last attempt was a newer sorority on campus called Kappa Phi. They were having their own welcome week soon, and after talking to the president and vice president, I was really excited. I knew they were faith-based and that was really important to me. I also knew that they were small, I actually thought that was something I would enjoy. I arrived to welcome week with 27 other girls, and they were all great. The first night we learned all about Kappa Phi, the next night we learned that while we're all individuals we're connected by Christ, and on the last night we received our bids. After all the searching I'd done it only took me three days with Kappa Phi to know that I had found my home away from home.

A week after we received our bids we had bid day, and bid day will go down as one of my top five favorite days. All the girls showed up to UC room 224 unsure of what we were walking into. Within five minutes, we were all wearing matching shirts and were coated in glitter. Once we felt like we were ready, we ran through a crowded lobby, outside to our new sisters. I've gained 30 new sisters since then, and it has been nothing but an adventure since.

So here’s to all of you, thank you isn’t appropriate to express my gratitude, but it’s all I’ve got. Thank you for accepting me with open arms and open hearts. Thank you for letting me laugh louder than acceptable. Thank you for commenting on all of my Instagram pictures. I never knew what I was getting myself into when I joined a sorority; I was scared. I didn’t expect the late night GroupMes, the movie nights or the joy that has come with Kappa Phi. Thank you, sisters, for thinking that all my jokes are funny. Thank you for hugging me every time we see each other in a building. Thank you for sharing my excitement when I won a goldfish in a coloring contest.

You’re my friends, my sisters and one of you is my Big (feel free to let me know who you are). I am so incredibly grateful for all 30 of you. I cannot wait for more movie nights, louder laughter, late night life talks and more adventures. You’re the best ladies that I know, and I wouldn't change a thing about a single one of you. For these friendships, I have prayed, and Jesus sure did know what He was doing. Thank you all for making me my best by being your best. I love you and the love each of you has for the Lord. I never would have pictured myself here, but I'm so glad this where I am. Above all, I'm even more glad I'm here with all of you.