advice for little sister

Hey Sis, You’re A Teen Now

An open letter to my sister on her birthday

63

Hey sis, you're a teenager now, enjoy it while it lasts. It may not be the 'most fun' that you could have, and you'll experience pain and heartache, but it will be worth it for the memories that you'll make, and the experience and knowledge you'll gain. Being a teenager will be the most influential and defining years of your life, don't let it change you. Keep your smile, your helpful hands, and take on challenges with a fury.

Entering high school won't be easy, you'll find that out soon enough, but don't let anyone's comments let you down. Brush dirty looks off, and return them with a smile. Classes will start to get hard, and you will start to stress more. The weight of the books in your backpack will be easier to carry than the oncoming stress. But remember one thing. Remember people are here. People are there for you to help you.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did.

Don't let the stress blossom into the weed of anxiety.

That weed will haunt you for life. Talk to people. Don't bottle it up. Don't be afraid of showing your stress because you think it makes you weak. Asking for help, in most places, makes you strong. When you deal with a bully, don't be afraid to make eye contact, or back down. Stare right at that person and kill them…with that kindness, you overflow with.

After all those 'don'ts', I want to tell you, make your own way. Find your identity. Don't be afraid to make some mistakes, unless it comes at the cost of someone else. Let yourself grow to who you're going to be. Use your own style, not someone else's. That person isn't as "glamorous" as they seem. They have their own problems and pains they're trying to hide. Don't change yourself to be like them, be like you. People will either like you for who you are, or, if they hate on you, will have to deal with me.

Finally, I want to say that I'm so thankful for the years that I've had you here. You've taught me a lot about patience, initiative, and how to be a better sister. Thank you for everything that you've taught me, I won't forget it. Thank you, too, for being there for me. I may be a "little" older than you, but whenever I seem sad or upset, you're there with an encouraging word, or tissues and chocolate.

You are powerful, kind, and patient.

Don't let the world extinguish that. As you grow, remember to keep those qualities. Don't lose them as I did. They're a whole lot harder to get back.