It's OK To Not Match Your Significant Other's Halloween Costume
Dating

No Boo, No Problem: Couples Costumes Are Spookily Difficult To Achieve

From a girl who's been in a relationship for the past three Halloweens.

575
Claudia Crowe

Couple costumes sound like a good idea when you're in a relationship and get to spend Halloween with your boo. It is a goal for some to be able to match their significant other's costume because it is super cute and you'll have and love these pictures forever. People will compliment you guys all night when they notice the matching as well.

However, finding a couples costume that both partners want to wear that hasn't already been done is extremely frustrating. There's so many factors that go into picking the perfect couples costume for Halloween. And every October, my boyfriend and I face this dilemma.

We constantly say that we are going to truly do a couples costume, then the days leading up we ditch the concept of matching. Whether it be spotting a perfect piece for another costume you have in your head, or never agreeing on what to be, dressing up in a couple's costume always fails for us.

The first major decision is what route you will go for your couples costume, which sounds easy enough, but can be overwhelming if you have no idea where you want to go with it. Don't forget you guys have to agree. Funny? Horror? T.V. show? Movie? Famous couple? There are so many options.

Most Halloween stores that mainly feature costumes have only lewd or gender stereotypes for couples costumes. For example, the guy being an electrical plug with the girl being the outlet. Or, the girl's version of the outfit is the same as the guy's, but is labeled as the sexy version and is very revealing. This is seen in many and various Halloween themed stores. Plus, they are expensive and not worth paying for the quality of a somewhat decent outfit.

It would be more cost-effective to make your own, especially while being in college. This costume might only be needed and worn to one party or for one occasion. It's also easier to pick what you want and customize your matching costumes this way. On the other hand, this takes time and can add up quickly. You have to keep track of what you already bought and what else you think the costumes require. A game plan is needed before just buying materials for your couples costume. You have to, lastly, remember that the whole point of a couples costume is to match which can be forgotten when not buying a pre-packaged costume.

Not to mention, each individual in the relationship is a separate person with different favorites, such as shows and genres. One may or may not want to be a certain character. One person may want to be someone that might not have a matching counterpart or the other might not want to be the other half, for various reasons.

Lastly, it's in general hard to find original, cute and identifiable couples costumes. It's hard to think of a clever couples costume when factoring in your own interests, not wanting to pick one that's been overdone and not wanting to look lame or have people confused. The best bet is to always go with well-known movies or T.V. shows, but that is still basic and may not appeal to what you enjoy.

No matter what you decide to dress up for Halloween. It's OK to be in a relationship and not to do a couples costume.

My suggestion is to keep a theme, rather than find an actual pair of something for your costume, such as Marvel or DC characters. Additionally, this can be inclusive of your friend group and easy to work around.