It's Official, I'm A Semester Away From A Bachelor's Degree

April is right around the corner and that means one thing for college students, open enrollment for the following semester. As I prepare to enroll for what will be the last of my bachelor’s degree, I can’t help but think; what’s next?

A part of me is eager for what’s to come but another is extremely anxious. I feel like we grow up excited for adulthood but honestly, it's so intimidating.

As this milestone in my life approaches, I can’t help but think back to my humble beginnings going to school in the small city of Santa Maria in Southern Brazil. That little six-year-old girl who later walked into an American school completely unfamiliar with the culture, language and the people would’ve never imagined what that would lead to one day.

I went through hell and back during my time in school. Like a lot of kids, I was bullied most of the time in elementary, middle and high school. Kids picked on me for being foreign, called me fat and everything in between. I went through things that seemed like the end of the world at the time but now here I am (shout out to the haters). I wish I could tell past self how insignificant those people and those moments would turn out to be.

About three and a half years ago, I started my college career at Wharton County Junior College. Honestly, I dreaded going there as most of my friends were all headed to different universities around the country. Pride aside, I knew it was the best option for me because financial aid wasn’t really an option since I’m a DACA recipient and it would be a lot more affordable.

I started out as a kinesiology major with intentions of working in sports medicine. After taking a couple of semesters of anatomy and physiology, I came to realize although sports medicine was interesting in high school, that was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Plus, does anyone at 18 actually know what they want for the rest of their lives?

After I finished my basics, I headed to the University of Houston as an advertising major and Spanish minor. I came to the conclusion that I would be the happiest pursuing something allowed to me to be both creative and strategic, so I chose advertising. I have always had a passion for all things media and design so it was perfect for me. Additionally, I chose to minor in Spanish so I can officially be considered trilingual.

I’ve worked so hard to be where I’m at now. Juggling a job and being a full-time student all throughout college has been an overwhelming mess at times but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Today, I’m a semester away from making Houston one degree hotter (haha how corny) with no student debt and a world of possibilities ahead.

Now it's time to finish strong.

P.S. If you’re a possible employer coming across this article from googling my name, hire me, please. Check my Linkedin next!