Obvisously Paul Ryan Endorsed Donald Trump

Did you really think it was going to go any other way?

4
NY Post

The divide between party leaders across the United States existed long before Donald Trump announced that he would run for president, but it seems that no one has ever expanded the great schism quite like he has.

After a long period of denying Trump his support, Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan finally gave in and announced that he will be voting for Trump in the coming election.

And people completely lost it.

Without missing a beat following the release of Ryan's announcement via Gazette Xtra online, Republicans and Democrats alike took to the Internet to express their surprise and disappointment at Ryan's decision.

Because apparently, an incredible number of Americans were under the impression that the Republican Speaker of the House would vote for a Democratic candidate and/or neglect his right to vote altogether.

Or maybe they thought he'd go out on a limb and vote for someone in the Green Party?

The notion that the highest ranking Republican currently in office would neglect to support someone within his own party is almost as ridiculous as the idea that he would throw away his right to vote, a right that is part of the bedrock of American society.

The notion becomes especially ridiculous when you read Ryan's statement very carefully. Although he admits that he and Trump disagree on many things, he says, "When I feel the need to, I’ll continue to speak my mind."

I'm no political analyst, but Ryan seems pretty sure that, assuming a Republican victory in the fall, he'll have the ear of the President whenever he wants it.

However, Ryan's decision is not all, ahem, political, so to speak.

While Ryan's support may just earn him a spot in Trump's administration, and while it reaffirms to all citizens that this up and coming politician is loyal to his party's lines, Ryan points out that it's also a way to ensure that his voice, and in extension, the voice of the Republicans who are more than apprehensive about Trump being in the White House, is heard.

By aligning himself with Trump and opening up a conversation about conservative views and what issues are most important to Trump, Ryan and the party as a whole, Ryan demands that Trump adhere and answer to the party he has chosen to associate with.

True, Ryan could have pulled a Mitt Romney and supported a conservative third party candidate like David French, but Ryan is intelligent and experienced enough to know that it's way less than likely that any candidate other than the nominated Republican and Democratic candidates have a real chance of winning. It's an honorable move on Romney's part to choose a candidate he truly believes in, but his tweets really only serve to make a statement to the voters of future elections.

All motivations aside, if you're surprised that Ryan hashed things out with Trump and finally gave up his endorsement, it better be because you're surprised that Trump had an adult discussion with someone who disagreed with many of his views.

The news that Ryan will be voting for Trump is hardly news at all, but may serve as a catalyst for many voters who respect Ryan more than they trust Trump to have hope for a cooperative future. Or at least a future with Paul Ryan somewhere in the White House.