Obsessing Over Social Media

Obsessing Over Social Media

Your Instagram post doesn't matter one bit.

55
Obsessing Over Social Media
UO

Imagine this: it's a Friday night, and you're out, marrying the night with your girls, possibly having a few drinks. You must keep a record of this amazing night, so you decide to take photos, asking people to take them for you, or even trying out some selfie shots with your girls. After a good 20 minutes of doing so, in the hopes of showing the world how fun a time you're having (and how good you think you look), finally you shoot a hot photo with your best friend. Your butt looks great, your lips express the perfect pout, and the best part is your friend actually likes it, too -- and for once isn't urging you not to post it.

It's time to send it through VSCOCam for some editing, maybe share it through SquareDroid to allow for a white background so the full shot is uploaded. Now, onto Instagram.

You're stumped. Suddenly, you go from 100 to zero real quick. You begin to get very anxious, nearly breaking a sweat. Apparently the sushi you had an hour ago (long passed the digestion period) starts to magically come back up. You grow nauseous. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO CAPTION THIS GLORIOUS MOMENT FROZEN AS A FRAME VIA MOBILE.

You stare at the photo for more than 10 minutes, asking every 30 seconds what to caption it. You ignore your best friend calling to you to take a picture of her. You aren't listening to your other friend who is continuing a conversation about a boy (which ridiculously went on throughout all of dinner) that finally ended an hour ago. You nearly get your heel stuck in a sewage drain cover as you're walking back to your car.

Now, stop. Think. Have you been this person before? I've done it. I've been that friend who was ignored for, even at a time when all I wanted was someone who'd listen. I'm sure that as you read the first few paragraphs, you couldn't help but chuckle a bit at how insane someone must be to react this way over an Instagram post. Though, I'm also just as sure that you have been this person.

So here's another question: Why do we allow ourselves to go to such an extent when it comes to social media? Why must we always have to clarify our image as something so perfect and alive? Who is it that you're trying so badly to please -- or make jealous? Whatever happened to "nobody's perfect" and "live for the moment?"

Obsessing over social media is becoming a massive plague, and even a kind of addiction that should be a "True Life" episode topic (if it hasn't been already), since it is that kind of an abnormal reality. It's, sadly, a common thing for many people in the world.

Next time you find yourself (or your friend) reacting this way, just think about the amount of time you're wasting getting yourself all riled up over your image, when 90 percent of the time you probably actually look great. Then, think about all the activities you and your friends could've been doing together in the meantime to make the night even better.