I’m A Highly Sensitive Person And There’s Nothing Wrong With That

I am allowed to have emotions and I'm strong because of it.

13

"You feel too much." "You feel too deep." "You take things too seriously." These are comments that I hear constantly. Apparently, there's a problem with being "too" sensitive. But I don't see a problem with it.

What's the real definition of high sensitivity? It can be defined as acute physical, mental, and emotional response to external or internal stimuli. A highly sensitive person can be an extrovert, introvert, or in-between. It is not someone who is weak. I just take in more than others and I handle what I am feeling. And I am strong because of it.

Don't tell me that I need to toughen up. Don't tell me that I shouldn't let things get to me. I'm allowed to feel a certain way. People think that being highly sensitive means that I'm overreacting or getting offended. Which is not the truth. It just means that I process my emotions more deeply. No, I don't need to be "fixed". It's not something that can be fixed and I don't want to be fixed.

Yes, I feel. I may feel "too" deep. I do take things seriously. But it's okay. At least you know how I am feeling. At least you know that I do feel. Or that I do care. Let me be me. Being highly sensitive doesn't mean I cry about everything. I just feel emotions strongly and I may cry but not for no reason.

It hurts knowing that the world doesn't understand what it means. It hurts because people openly joke about this trait that defines who I am. There's many misconceptions or stereotypes about highly sensitive people. You need to brush up on your facts on what it really means to be a highly sensitive person.

Think first before you make a comment about my emotions or anyone's emotions.